No subject

Subject: No subject
From: zs1afz@zs1ctc.ctech.ac.za (zs1afz@zs1ctc.ctech.ac.za)
Date: Tue Jun 18 07:47:44 1996
From: zs1afz@zs1ctc
To: cq-contest@tgv.com

Subscribe

From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro) (Garry Shapiro)
Subject: KV4AA contest from W3LPL

John Brosnahan wrote:

> Now my KV4AA story!
>
> My shack was in my parents' basement, and I had driven a nail into the
> floor joist above the rig to mount a roll of solder so it would hang down
> onto the operating position, allowing me to act like I was SUPERTECH--
> able to build or repair anything on a moments notice--solder always at hand.
>
> I had just upgraded from novice to general later in 1960 and bought a
> Globe Chief Deluxe to replace my novice 6L6 40M oscillator/transmitter (but
> I had no 20M antenna yet) when I first heard KV4AA calling CQ high in the
> 20M CW band.  Out of desperation to work some DX, I grabbed the end of that
> solder and stuck it in the antenna relay with probably no more than 4 ft of
> solder as an antenna (top loaded by the 1 pound spool on the nail, of course).
> And this was all below ground level.  I gave Dick my call once and he came
> right
> back with a 579.  I was elated and stunned at the same time, and figured it
> was just a fluke.  So I called him again the next day with the same solder
> antenna
> and he again gave me the proverbial 579.  It wasn't a wet noodle but close
> enough.
> Dick could really hear, but I didn't really believe the 579 he gave me--now
> I know
> he gave everyone a 579!
>
> 73  John  W0UN
>
> John Brosnahan
> La Salle Research Corp      24115 WCR 40     La Salle, CO 80645  USA
> voice 970-284-6602            fax 970-284-0979           email broz@csn.net

Spenceley was the 20m beacon for many-he appeared daily on 14080 at
5:30PM EST. He was always loud. I believe he was the first person I heard
regularly who used a keyer. At least I PRESUME it was a keyer--I don't
think many could send that perfectly with a bug. He inspired me, along
with W2TOD (now NW6P) and a few other friends, to build a W9TO keyer,
which I still have. The Autronic paddle took almost a summer's work to
purchase (I was 15).

The machine-gun crispness of that callsign was unforgetable. I would
often warm up for the evening's operation by cranking up the W9TO to 55
wpm amd sending myself text, off the air, until I was psyched up and the
6146's were warm, then would back off and work KV4AA for that quick
rat-a-tat 579 exchange. After that, I went hunting. I loved it!

Garry, NI6T

--
 Famous quotes #1233:
        "It's not MY fault"--- San Andreas