Field Day 96

Subject: Field Day 96
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Mon Jun 24 14:16:37 1996

Well, I think I successfully got quite a few young hams interested in
contesting this year at FD. Now if I can just convince them that 6 QSO's
an hour isn't a great rate! (Well, it's a START!)

I was dismayed at the lack of interest in CW in the local club operation.
I got to work 20 CW for a bit and made about 60 QSO's in an hour, paper
logs on a notepad :-(  I was the only one who worked CW there, to my
knowledge. But quite a few of the new contest ops were amazed, and I
think they went at it with more energy after that.

>Charlie's (age 9) Field Day Hints:
>
>1. Don't give up if signals are weak.

Hey, this is what we weak-signal types/DXers (both HF and VHF) thrive on!

>2. Don't drink too much beer before or during the contest.

Well, FD is the only "contest" where I'll allow myself to drink beer!
Guess it's sorta the tradition - to have a few cold 807's at FD!

>3. Get on the air any chance you get.

Of course!

>4. Don't drink too much coke.

I don't usually use much sugar and soft drinks with lots of sugar tend to
send me into "sugar shock". Also doesn't mix well with the beer (see #2
above :-)

>5. Get at least one hour of sleep.

During a contest?   :-)

>6. Don't eat too much food.

FD food is OK to "sample" usually but I wait for a bit to see if the
first to eat it survive it!

>7. It's Field Day - Have fun!!!
>
>8. Make sure no wires are near water and make sure nothing is in
>a dangerous position.
>
>9. Make as many contacts as you can.

I like to strive to make MORE contacts than I can, if possible!

>10. Don't get _too_ much sleep.

No problem, I NEVER get "_too_ much sleep".

>11. Ignore your wife's complaints.
>
>12. If another contester comes on the frequency, get him off. Keep
>on talking/sending!
>
>13. Put up a "No Smoking" sign.

Especially for the rigs!

>14. Eat _Something_.

I think a few various insects fell into this category (and my stomach).

>15. Try to set an alarm to wake up.

Or don't bother to go to sleep!

>16. When somebody tries to steal your frequency, press the button! (the
>CQ button on the voicekeyer - LL)
>

>Dave, K6LL
>k6ll@juno.com

I hope you all enjoyed yourselves. It was fun and we only had a brief
thunderstorm here.

73, Zack W9SZ
Twin City ARC, K9CW in FD
Champaign, IL