Lest We Forget

Subject: Lest We Forget
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 17:54:53 1996
Exerpted from 200 METERS AND DOWN... copyright ARRL 1936

ELECTRICIAN & MECHANIC published the following table in 1907 showing the
relative performances of different types of transmitting and receiving
equipment of the day.

SPARK COIL      ANTENNA HEIGHT     COHERER      LIQUID DETECTER
     SIZE
                                                                     OR
 BARRETTER

   1/2 INCH                   35 FEET             1/8 MILE          1/4 TO
1/2 MILE
     1 INCH            40 - 45  FEET             1/4 MILE         1/4 TO 3/4
MILE
     2 INCH                   50 FEET        2 1/2 TO 3 1/2          5 TO 10
 MILES
     4 INCH*                  75 FEET               10 MILES        10 TO 20
 MILES
     6 INCH*                100 FEET               15 MILES        15 TO 30
 MILES
   10 INCH*                150 FEET               50 MILES         50 TO 75
MILES
   15 INCH*                180 FEET           60  TO 75            75 TO 100
MILES

* = TUNED

An alternative to the 15 inch spark coil was an oil immersed 1/4 kilowatt
transformer and a battery of Leyden jars; with this combination 100 miles
was guaranteed.

Denny    k8do@aol.com