W6UQF - thanks, probably a hundred times over

Subject: W6UQF - thanks, probably a hundred times over
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 22:43:09 1996
As everyone has mentioned, W6UQF was a regular....someone you ALWAYS worked
in the domestic contests.

I remember the first time I went to Visalia, with all those crazy sixes -
like N6TR who had a TS430 and tuner to a kinky wire out the window of  his
2nd floor hotel room. There I was, slightly lost amongst all these DXers,
standing by the "envelope" table looking around - amazed at the indoor
swimming pool in the hotel lobby - when this guy in a vest covered with
DX-convention badges of years gone by came up to me. Always the S&P op, Chas
had spotted my callsign badge and introduced himself. We talked and shared
the moment...two guys in their element, hams at a ham convention. Cool.

I have remembered that eyeball QSO vividly, often - every time Chas called me
in SS or NAQP....see my SS story on the KM9P website....

These memories are part of what makes contesting great. We contesters are
really quite a fraternal bunch - not the ogres some view us as being...those
guys ain't never seen us at  Visalia or the Stouffers in Dayton!

Thanks for being someone who helped make contesting fun for me, Chas. Thanks
for always being in the 6U column on my op aid 6.

Jim zx