Heights Manufacturing co.

Subject: Heights Manufacturing co.
From: WR34SHE@shellus.com (WR34SHE@shellus.com)
Date: Mon Jul 1 16:44:18 1996
FROM: SAM EFFINGER  SIET UTILITIES
SUBJECT: Heights Manufacturing co.

Are these folks still in business?  Can anyone provide me a phone number?

Thanks    Sam K9SD

                  K9SD

From: pa3fcd@dds.nl (Mark van Wijk) (Mark van Wijk)
Subject: AGAIN:best-2nd-hand-Radio

Dear all,

Thanks to N6IT,W2VJN,GI0NWG,N1MM,WB2DIN,W5KFT,G3VBL,AA4NU,KG6I,K3WW,
          K5GO,K1ZX,K1VUT,N6TV,N4ZR and KE3Q for responding to my enquiry.

For those who didn't read my 1st message; the goal is to find the best (cheap)
second hand HF-rig
in my situation.

Most important needs:

1. CW only here (who needs a mic?) so "CW ergonomics"
2. Contest ergonomics.
3. Excellent RX on  40-80-160.

It's just like my profession in Hi-Fi, everyone claims to have the best gear
and are sure they
can prove it against product B.
Out of a lot of magazine articles, other peoples opinions and your
contributions I've made the
following distillation based on my personal interpretation only:

TS-940/950 :   Not good enough on RX.  So was my personal experience of the 940

               compared to everything else.

4C-line    :   I've had one with all the filters next to my TS-850. It was
marginally better on
               40 during good condx. Thanks to its L.O. and best-ever-build
preselector. But this
               one is useless in contests compared to nowadays technology, in
ergonomics that is
               (ONLY).

TS-830     :   This one is a "golden oldie" still used by some of the best
contesters, although I
               am sure they are being modified. The best points: excellent L.O.
and a
               usable preselector. Against: VFO one turn is 25 Khz.

TR-7       :   Fair rig for its price, but their are so many reasons to look at
almost any other.

FT-990     :   Well this one is not available here second hand and certainly to
high priced. Very
               good on RX, but very old ergonomics (non-contest)compared to its
opponent:

TS-850     :   This is the one with all the necessary "bells & whistles"
               which puts it way in front of any rig. Bad, or better NO
               QSK, and no switchable second antenna. Good RX, but lousy
               stock filters. With installed 400Hz Int. Radio filters this
should be more or less
               the best choice I guess.
               I have had one for 2 years (why did I sell it?) and used it in
different contest
               situations where I could pull out the most QSO's. To me it's an
all time standard
               in its class.

IC-765      :  So is this one according to many users and top-contesters. Icom
surely has the
               better stock filters.
               Some say this one is slightly less on 160 RX. Total layout and
handling is
               eehrm... non-Kenwood and I experienced this during this years
160-WW-CW with the
               available controls/options. Also this one proved to be
unreliable; this one had a
               atu which started to "fiddle around" just when you needed that
W-. The load of the
               PA was an exact 50 Ohm carbon resistance. Anyway  RX was
slightly less compared to
               last years 850 on RX.
               On the other hand the 765 has very good figures in terms of
phase noise. I think I
               should give it another try.

TS-930     :   Very good on RX, some say the best for CW. Some top cont-
               esters used it for 160-80 next to FT-1000's for the higer
               bands!!??? It's an older rig with many solder problems on
               the pcb (upper to down layerside hole-connections) Look
               for serialno: >3100.... Very usable basic rig, especially
               with the better filters. Also many tech. reasons why not to look
for this one:
               audible hiss/tone in CW due to leak in product detector, higher
phase noise ????).
               Still a bargain in any respect.

Some major conclusions:

Ergonomical/technical features apply to some persons/situations and might give
you better
results. At least it does for me, so please do not feel offended if I tend to
be a TS-850 lover.

An FT-1000 and surely the MP version are the big winners today.....but putting
things into
perspective....what does it more than the 930 ??
Again its like Hi-Fi equipment; you still can have lots of fun with a medium
priced, personally
tweaked set.
To answer the question; in DX the 930 does the same, if you hear it you can
work it.
In the contest the 930 still pulls 95 out of 100 stations. But...............
...number 97 is that particular country/zone......:((

Again, I have a life next to contesting and stay with the others mentioned
above (yet).

Technical specs. should be read carefully. The 3rd interceptpoint level is
something like the
"top speed of your car on a closed runway", no wind rain etc.
Don't forget it's not the promised top speed which counts; it's the available
horsepower and how
you use it on the race track. How to stay inside the powerband, which gear,
maximum traction etc.
(yes I drive a suzuki RF-900 bike, and I won't sell it for a 1000MP!).

Things worth looking at are:
Optional better filters having a better shape factor and a higher out-of-band
attenuation.
Lowest possible phase noise to avoid reciprocal mixing. Think this is what
causes (next to out of
band selectivity) most of the dirt during contests on the lower bands epecially.

DSP's work fine but should be considered for tweaking at "the end of the
receiving chain".

Ok, that's it for now. Again thank you for responding. If there is anything I
have overlooked
please let me know. I think you get the point where I'm aiming at.

Warmest Regards,

Mark, PA3FCD