FT1000MP TX problems

Subject: FT1000MP TX problems
From: rlc@soho.ios.com (rlc@soho.ios.com)
Date: Thu Jul 4 21:55:08 1996
In a response to Andrew I detailed the experiences I have had with my
FT1000MP---almost identical to his with a few other nasty problems.
The set is now back at Yaesu for the third time.  Though the folks
there are very polite, NONE of the problems have been fixed.  I am
asking them to replace my set, which seems to me to be an unfixable
lemon.  I would appreciate hearing from any of you with similar
problems.

Bob Carroll  AA2UV

> [...]

>   I have a problem with my FT1000MP and was wondering has anyone else
> had this problem, or know how to cure it.
>
> When the 'MP is cold it works fine. When it warms up, after about 20-30
> minutes, a strange thing happens whereby the SWR reading goes to
> infinity on the rising edge of speech and CW. The antennas have been
> checked with various other rigs, so no problem there. This problem is
> mainly seen on 15 and 17M. When it happens, there is a type of 'buzzing'
> sound from inside the radio (bouncing relays ??).
>
> My radio is an AC model and has a serial number in the 5F010XXX series.
> A friend has a DC model in the 5L030XXX series which has the SAME
> problem! Both radio's are in GI-land. How widespread is this? When this
> happens, the radio is basically unusable.
>
> My 'MP has been returned to Yaesu UK to be fixed, but came back with a
> service report which stated:-
> Checked and tested all alignments and connections. 5/5
> Checked 15 and 17 M bands extensively under varied conditions. 5/5
> Also stated on the report was:- Labour: 1 hour.
>
> How can anybody do the above work and test the radio EXTENSIVELY in just
> one hour??? Not possible I say. Also the radio was away for one month to
> do just one hours work !!!!! Needless to say I am not very happy.
>
> My friends radio is actually somewhat worse than mine. One time whilst
> operating 20M CW, this problem occured, then promptly reset the CPU. He
> ended up on 7.000.00 CW with all menu settings cleared. What is wrong
> here???
>
> An FT990, FT102, TS930, TS430, IC735, and IC765 have worked flawlessly
> on the same antennas, so it looks like something is seriously amiss with
> the 'MP. Any ideas ??
>
> Also, has anyone experienced RF feedback type problems on the 'MPs
> internal speaker when another rig is transmitting on another band. I've
> had this in the middle of a contest. VERY off-putting.
>
> If anyone has experienced similar problems, drop me a line so I have
> more ammunition when I start hammering on Yaesu's desk. Has anyone had
> any joy in getting Yaesu to fix a similar problem ?
>
> Looking forward to the replies.
>
> Andrew Williamson, GI0NWG (+G3OZF - U.K. team for WRTC)
> E-mail     : andrew@gi0nwg.demon.co.uk
> One of the WestNet DX Gang.
> Operations from EU006,007,103,106,124.
> Please call us in the IOTA contest from EU-124 as GW6J.
>

>From thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)  Fri Jul  5 02:21:59 1996
>>   I have a problem with my FT1000MP and was wondering has anyone else
>> had this problem, or know how to cure it.
>>
>> When the 'MP is cold it works fine. When it warms up, after about 20-30
>> minutes, a strange thing happens whereby the SWR reading goes to
>> infinity on the rising edge of speech and CW. The antennas have been
>> checked with various other rigs, so no problem there. This problem is
>> mainly seen on 15 and 17M. When it happens, there is a type of 'buzzing'
>> sound from inside the radio (bouncing relays ??).

Someone might want to run this problem by Milt Lord, N4DA (on the web as the
"Radio Doctor".)

If Milt has seen the problem he probably has a fix...he was one of the first
to recognize and fix the glue gung problem on the TS440 series (made it go -
- - - - - - ) on one or more bands.  The glue turned into a conductor and
shorted out the VFO board among others.

It sounds like a board interconnect problem similar to what the TS940
suffers from just by moving it around....

Sure doesn't make one confident in staying in the contest if the rig has a
history of flaking out!

73, Dave K4JRB