51 and k6s

Subject: 51 and k6s
From: kl7ra@icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov (Gilmore Creek Geophysical Observatory)
Date: Mon Jul 15 18:51:08 1996
One hour 3 minutes to go and no K6S. I heard them on 40 around 7032
a few hours ago but they moved before I could call. I still needed
about six others at that time so I wasn't too worried. Started
popping the rest off one by one on 40 cw but still no K6S. Where
are they? I'm now searching the bands. Up/down ssb/cw on 40 then 20
then back to 40. No packet here. The clock is ticking. I talk to
K9ZO. Ralph still needs a few. We exchange our want/have list like
trading baseball cards. I ask about their signals on 40 in w9 land.
I notice they seem to be in two groups of signal strength. Most are
s-9 on the nose, but a batch are weaker. He mentions they all seem
about the same just above the noise. Maybe he's not hearing the
weaker ones then. Their antennas may not be exactly the same height
or orientation. I may be in the 290 degree null on some. I can't
really tell on 20 or 15 because of the beams. No one is louder then
the other and only s-9 at best. Easy to search for them. Fast cw
with a s-9 or less signal. Pass by AH3C. He's been signing zone 6
all contest. Don't these people know he's not in the Pacific. Still
a big crowd is calling. AH3D is doing the same thing up freq a
ways. Maybe I should call them. Naw, need to keep searching for S.
No S anywhere. Where are you K6S. Searching, clock is ticking, no
S, searching, no S, no S, Is that S? No its H. Where are you S?
Clock ticks 0600z. You can tell the judges are watching. The 40 cw
spectrum drops to just a few pips on the second.

No K6S. No tee-shirt (extra large). No letter opener. No card deck.
No 52 second shopping spree at AES. Nothing.

KL7RA  51 and still counting Rich