K7U

Subject: K7U
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Jul 18 18:43:50 1996

>K3ZO writes:
>
>>Thus when K7U was detected as a non-existent
>>call in the log I left it in, because I had heard that station very
>>clearly call the boys at K6N on a couple of bands.
>
>Is K7U a legitimate callsign? I worked him/her during Field Day and now the
>IARU. Anyone else work 'em? Please respond direct.
>
>de Hose  KN5H     op K7UP

Yes indeed! It's Tom, K7UOT with a special (bicentennial?) call.

He's been using it for about a month now.

Zack W9SZ

From: ik0hbn@isa.it ( IK0HBN ) ( IK0HBN )
Subject: removal of IK0HBN

At 15.37 18/07/96 -0400, you wrote:

>>      This is exactly the concern I voiced when people began to
>> consider the possibility of using analysis of unique calls to help with
>> score checking.  In my opinion there is absolutely no justification to
>> remove a call simply on the grounds that it is a unique.
>>
>>      Don't think for a moment that IK0HBN was the only unique call in this
>> contest.  While CQ'ing on 20 meters, K1DC (my friend and contester of
>> many years ago, Don Benecchi) called me and gave me a qso.  I assumed he
>> was running through the band working DX, and gave me a call because we
>> are friends.  I saw him at our local club meeting three nights later, and
>      ^^^^^^^
>> was surprised to find out that I was the only one he worked in the whole
>
>This is likely the very reason a unique like this was dropped from any
>competitor (not regular Joe Ham) logs.
>
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>I am in NO WAY saying that IK0HBN made this contact for this reason.
>NOR am I saying that the team did anything out of the ordinary.
>
>I repeat this is not to be construed as a slam against the operators
>involved IN ANY WAY.
>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Gee, was I clear enough...I hope?
>
>--
>73 de N1PBT...ron (rrossi@btv.ibm.com) <><

Hi Ron,
you can be sure I was seriously involved in IARU/WRTC contest: I ended with 861
qso's and I am satisfied for that. I was unlucky having to break big pile-ups
with 150-200 watt and a 2 element melted traps yagi. For that reason I sent my
partial log to organizer at 06.03z. Sorry to say that nobody noted my unique
qso with Tom. It can happen: nobody is perfect.
See you soon.
Sante
ps As I would avoid in future my call rests as an Unique, I am trying to put up
a real contest station. I live in a country and I offer hosting Ham's who wish
to visit Italy in this summer and that can help me with good suggestions.
Country is about 10,000 meters square. No problem for hosting more than one
person. 1 hour by car from Rome airport and 35 minutes from the City. I wait
you.
It's not a kidding.

Sante LILLO  (IK0HBN)
Localita' Saineta, 3
01030 Bassano in Teverina (VT) Italy
home telephone: +39 (0) 761-407543  (FAX on request)
E-mail: ik0hbn@isa.it
packet adr: IK0HBN@I0INU.IUMB.ITA.EU
DX cluster : IK0HBN > I0JBL-6