NAQP CW - the "pse qsy" contest

Subject: NAQP CW - the "pse qsy" contest
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Sun Aug 4 18:46:06 1996
Jeff, et al

The essence of this contest is directly related to your frustrations....and
conversely to other comeptitor's frustrations, too!

What makes the NAQP different from all the other contests is that there is a
mult per band opportunity, I know we all know this, so what? It means for one
I gotta make sure I work my own state oon six bands for sure for sure!

If we were not sought out as multipliers but only as QSOs I know I would just
run on 20 and 40 and not spend any time on 10 or 15, especially after this
past weekend! And why not add 160 to that list, too.

OK so now we've gotten rid of the bands where making QSOs is
hard........heah, STOP!!!!!! Wait A Minute!!!!!!  Do we as competitors want
to make the contest easier????? I know a salesman dreads an easy sale, if he
can get in the door so easy then so can the next guy following him in....I
think that there is a direct anology here.

My previous showings in this contest have been average with good QSO numbers
but sucky multiplier numbers...why? Because I was contesting in the same old
vanilla F1 button mentality. You have to read the rules of every contest and
dig below the surface to find out what this particular contest requires from
the competitor for him to do well. In NAQP the key is maximizing/a.k.a.:
moving/ the multipliers.  It is not SS!

You do have a tough situation in that you were probably the only RI station
on during the contest (its been my experience over the past 25 years that you
usually are....I have a mental alarm that goes off when the "IU" suffix is
heard!). As such you bear the burden, as a good operator, of allowing us
competitive types begging you (just like I did yesterday) to please QSY. You
might have to develope a solution to managing this such as programming a
memory keyer with: "28040 at 2145z --..-- nw pse QRZ test K1IU". I am sure
you will persevere, and you will find the combo between running and jumping.

The fact that this is a low power competition where S&P is as important as
running and allows more guys to be competitive.... if it were just a run
feast the trophy would stay in W5. The recently honed skills of dual radio
contesting are perfect for this contest, and when you are successful at it it
sure is fun.

Only recently am I starting to be able to sucessfully manage my brains
listening ability to work with two different audio sources. It is hard but
boy is it cool to juggle it all without missing a beat....after this past
weekend I know the next step for me is that I am going to have to start using
a footswitch to select which radio to key, several times I was batting that
toggle switch on every QSO for six or seven QSOs in a row...left rig/right
rig....and as we all know: when it is fast and furious it sure is fun.

This is a competition, just because it is tough doesn't mean it is
wrong....sure I love being loud and running them, we all do. Long ago I
congratulated W6OAT on winning SS Phone...he told me he was more pleased with
his SS CW finish down in the  lower part of the top ten....why....he felt
that there was more skill in his CW SS finish and less brute force successful
running because he was loud. I say bring on the tough parts - the successes
are even sweeter.

By the way, Jeff......seriously......thanks for the mults, from all of us!

C'mon sunspots.....please!!!!

73

Jim   zx            k1zx@contesting.com