RF limits in Canada

Subject: RF limits in Canada
From: TELLAM@mccarthy.ca (Tim S. Ellam)
Date: Tue Aug 6 18:30:50 1996
In this country, Industry Canada(the regulatory body) expects amateurs to
comply with Saftey
Code 6 or "Limits of Exposure to RadioFrequency Fields at frequencies from
10khz-300Ghz"
published by Health Canada.

Saftey Code 6 limits exposure to RF fields for persons other than "RF Workers"
to no greater
magnetic filed strength of 2.19/f for frequencies from 1mhz to 30mhz when
averaged over a
0.1hour period.

In practical terms I know of no amateur who has ever bothered to perform this
calculation nor
has Industry Canada  ever attempted to enforce this code against an amateur.
There is one
documented case in which Industry Canada did perform the appropriate testing of
an
amateur station due to lobbying by neighbours and found that in a "typical"
amateur
installation  running 100 watts to a yagi at 65' and in a "typical" urban
enviroment it was
unlikely  Safety Code 6 would be violated. However, at 1kw the amateur in
question came
very close to the code limits!

The difficulty with any RF exposure limits is to find a practical method for an
amateur to say
with some authority they meet any "limits"! RF exposure limits have become the
latest tool for
neighbours to challenge tower installations in this country.

Tim VE6SH
RAC GC
one of the many "import Canadians" as defined by USA Today!!