RF Exposure Issues

Subject: RF Exposure Issues
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 8 20:40:18 1996

>       2. How can we accurately determine the duty cycle?  I saw Brian's
SNIP
>          what is the time length of a space versus a 'dit' or 'dah'.

A dot is typically equal to the space between each dot and dash, and a dash
is typically three dots long. Typical uninterrupted CW text has an average
power less than 40% of the locked down carrier power (not including any
listening time).

The actual amount varies with the operator's sending habits, the CW weight,
what is being sent, and the rise and fall times of the envelope.

>          locations, and on page 24 I see that station C had a very high
>          reading near a section of feedline (nearly 3 times as high as
>          those taken in the immediate vincinity of the xcvr).  Now the
SNIP
> Offhand, this seems to indicate a
>          problem with the coax.  Is it reasonable to assume that this
>          was perhaps RG-8 or some other type with a shield ratio less
>          than that of RG-213?

Shield "ratio" usually has little or no effect on coaxial cable radiation in
amateur installations. Most often the dominate problem is unequal currents on
the center conductor and shield caused by improper feedline routing or
termination. Changing the cable or even using double shielded cable, if the
cable is not defective or very poorly constructed, would be of no benefit.

Even a base fed vertical can require a choke balun(s) to suppress coaxial
feedline radiation.

73 Tom