How to figure out your grid square.

Subject: How to figure out your grid square.
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Thu Aug 22 01:45:05 1996
Wassell, James T., Ph.D. wrote:

> I found these easy ways to determine your grid square from the N.E.W.S.
> North East Weak Signal VHF Group Home Page.

snip

> Better yet here are maps for North America grid squares (useful unless
> you're too close
> to a border to decide what square you're in).
> http://uhavax.hartford.edu/disk$userdata/faculty/newsvhf/www/gridmaps.html

snip

  How about the 6
> digit
> grid square? - That would be a little bit more of a challenge.
>
> Sounds like a fun contest.         73.              Terry,   K3JT

The Buckmaster maps are pretty amazing. Unfortunately, they are not
accurate enough for a six-digit grid square determination, and may be
faulty even for four digits. I looked at two callsigns whose QTH's I
know well--mine and KA6W. Mine was off a good fraction of a mile. Ted's
was off by several miles. I suspect many rural locations will be off by
a similar amount. I think one might be fortunate at current state of the
art to get his four-digit locator correct from the Buckmaster maps.

OTOH, the hand calculation from WB5VZL, posted a few days ago and
included in the N.E.W.S. page, certainly works, but it behooves one to
know his lat/long coordinates accurately. For example, my QTH is at
37.15N/121.98W--that is in CM97 but only about .57 mi from the meridian
border with CM87. I determined my QTH with a USGS 15 minute
quadrant--not everyone has one handy.

What this means is that entering someone's gridsquare AFTER the proposed
"operating event" is a bit iffy if accuracy is a factor, especially if a
different--or even mistaken--gridsquare was received from that station
by other contesters.

Just a thought.

--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T