CW and HF Contesting

Subject: CW and HF Contesting
From: Jastaples@aol.com (Jastaples@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 17:52:09 1996
Just have to put my two cents worth in on this one....

1. I think ALL licensed amateurs with operating priviliges below 30 MHz
should be required  to demonstrate "knowledge" of the code, even if it's only
3 WPM.  At the very least this will assure that all hams know the basic
characters of the code.

2. The lower 25 KHz of ALL (non-WARC) amateur bands below 30MHz should be the
EXCLUSIVE domain of the EXTRA CLASS CW LICENSE with a minimum requirement of
20 (25?) WPM.

3. Use of the code in the "lower 25" should be a special privilige reserved
for those who WANT to use CW seriously. There should be a "time in grade" (as
there once was) before being allowed to sit for this EXTRA CLASS CW License.
(What I'm suggesting is a CW endorsement feature for the Extra Class
license.)

4. This scheme would in effect allow No-Code licensing from entry through
Extra. However, there would be 125 KHz (out of 3 MHz or so) reserved for
those with the Extra Class w/ CW Endorsement. CW would become a "preference"
rather than a "requirement".

5. I'm not so naive as to believe this would ever come to pass under FCC
regulations, but I do think the concept could be used to encourage and
preserve the art of CW, particularly in the competitive areas of Contesting
and DXing. There are still those out there who will respond to the challange,
and who will want to "run with the big dogs"!

6. Oh yeah, how to police this... Forget it!  The good operators will rise to
the top. The others will drift off and find other interests.

'Nuff said!

73, Joe, W5ASP