Excerpts: ARRL Letter 8/23

Subject: Excerpts: ARRL Letter 8/23
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (frenaye@pcnet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 23:53:17 1996
As usual, the full text is at www.arrl.org
(plus lots of other good stuff)
                73 Tom

The ARRL Letter
Electronic Update
August 23, 1996
__________________________________

IN THIS UPDATE . . ..

* Vanity Gate 2 opens September 23!
* JAS-2 in orbit!
* ARRL questions NII/SUPERNet plans
* Hams help during Illinois floods
* Solar flux down
* FCC call sign update
* Legal seminars at ARRL conventions
* Eli Nannis, K4JMH, SK
* William J Stevens, W6ZM, SK
* In Brief: New OK SM; WN1I joins HQ staff; new ham astronaut;

__________________________________

VANITY FILING GATE 2 OPENS SEPTEMBER 23, 1996

The FCC has announced that vanity call sign filing Gate 2 will open
September 23. Under Gate 2, Amateur Extra class licensees may request a
vanity call sign on or after that date. File requests on FCC Form 610V.
Legibility is critical! If your application is not legible, you could
experience a delay in processing, lose the opportunity to obtain a requested
call sign or even obtain a call sign different from what you want.

[this is a long article, see the ARRL web site for more]

SOLAR FLUX DOWN

Solar observer Tad Cook, KT7H, in Seattle, Washington, reported August 16
that average solar flux was down about 5 points over the previous week. Flux

values are expected to rise above 70 starting around August 22. After that,
solar flux should peak around 76 on August 29, and be back to 70 around
September 4. No big upsets are expected, but there could be some minor
geomagnetic activity around August 27.

The fall equinox is about four weeks away, and the days are gradually
getting shorter. Forty meters is the best nighttime band for worldwide
propagation, while 20 is best during the day. We are still suffering from
very low solar activity at the bottom of the current solar cycle, so MUFs
are depressed. Expect big improvements over the next two years.

The September issue of QST includes an informative article by Dean Straw,
N6BV, on advanced propagation-prediction software. An interesting one is the
Voice of America Coverage Analysis Program or VOACAP, created for The Voice
of America. It's available free via the web at http://www.voa.gov. Click on
Other Services, and then Software Distribution after the opening screen. At
the Gopher menu, click on Voice of America Coverage Analysis Program.

Sunspot numbers for August 8 through 14 were 24, 20, 33, 30, 22, 16 and 30,
respectively, with a mean of 25. The 10.7-cm flux was 69.8, 70.2, 72.8,
72.9, 70.1, 69.6, and 68.8, respectively, with a mean of 70.6.

FCC ISSUED CALL SIGN UPDATE

The following is a list of the FCC's most recently issued call signs as of
August 1, 1996.

Dist Grp A     Grp B     Grp C     Grp D
     Extra     Adv  T/G  Novice

[1->0 skipped}
HI     #  AH6OT       #       WH6DCN   [** I hear KH7's will be issued soon]
AK     #  AL7QQ     KL0AH     WL7CTW   [** Note: KL0]
VI   WP2X KP2CJ     NP2JK     WP2AIE
PR   KP3D KP3AG     NP3EG     WP4NMH   [** Note: KP3/NP3]

# New prefixes are available for this block, but none have been issued.
++All call signs in this group have been issued in this area.

LEGAL SEMINARS AT ARRL CONVENTIONS

A Continuing Legal Education seminar, "Land Use Regulation of Federally
Licensed Communications Facilities and the Doctrine of Federal Preemption"
will be presented at two ARRL conventions during October.

ARRL General Counsel Chris Imlay, N3AKD, and Mike Raisbeck, K1TWF, will
present the seminar at the New England Division Convention, October 4, at
the convention site, the Holiday Inn, Boxboro, Massachusetts. The seminar
will run from 9 AM until 3 PM.

Imlay and Phil Kane, K2ASP, will present a CLE seminar October 18, at
Pacificon '96, at the Hilton Hotel, Concord, California. The seminar will
run from 9 AM until 3 PM.

CLE credits will be available for both seminar sessions. The fee is $50 for
those seeking credit. Otherwise, the seminars are free. If you seek credit,
send a check and registration information to John Hennessee, KJ4KB, ARRL,
225 Main St, Newington, CT 06111. Include your name, address and bar
membership information. ARRL volunteer counsel members and other attorneys
are encouraged to attend one of these sessions.

E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444