2 radio ops- headphone questions

Subject: 2 radio ops- headphone questions
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Wed Sep 25 21:43:13 1996
Steven Nace writes:

>One question is: If 1 rig is audible in each ear, do you have a serious
>handicap when one radio is turned down all the way? Does this present an
>'inbalance' in your head? Is there a way to counteract this inbalance?
>
>Any advice and experiences shall be appreciated.

I know that I have re-posted this post from W6QHS before - but
it is still on my to do list - maybe this fall.
It "sounds" like a good idea to me.

From: David & Barbara Leeson <0005543629@mcimail.com>
To: cq-contest <cq-contest@tgv.com>
Subject: Re: 2-Radio Audio Switching

I use a 1K pot to adjust feedthrough from one ear to the other, which is
helpful although it doesn't create a true stereo effect.  It depends on the
headphone impedance, but the typical value is between 60-100 ohms.

There is a standard DPDT switch called ON-ON-ON which does the whole job
of A-Both-B headphone switching.  Look on the package or the switch
itself.  In the center position, A is connected to one ear and B to the
other.  The standard audio cable color-coding is red for right, white fo
r left.

If you want to use a DSP filter, you can just connect both stereo outputs
from a typical JA radio to one cable for filter input, connect the output
to both inputs to the switch box.  Some filters have a low-value resistor
at their input (simulating a speaker) which you'll want to remove for
headphone use, and some have an awkward floating ground setup at their
output.

Hope this helps.  Dave, W6QHS

--

George Fremin III