Kenwood Sales Manager

Subject: Kenwood Sales Manager
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri Oct 4 11:37:08 1996
>Is Kenwood selling radios to unlicensed operators at truck stops or not?

Dan --

     There is letter in QST this month on the same topic - selling radios to
unlicensed operators.  Let me point out that SELLING radios to unlicensed
individuals is not illegal.  In fact, a retailer cannot NOT sell it to them
or it would be discrimination.  If a law was passed requiring an amateur
license to buy amateur transmitting equipment, retailers could probably argue
in court successfully that the law would constitute a restraint of trade.  It
is only illegal for an unlicensed person to USE it, not to own it.  Your
concern has more to do with the ethics of the transaction.  People want to
buy things and retailers want to sell things to them so they will get
together regardless of the market or products.

    I personally don't have a problem with Kewnood's plan to sell their
products through CB stores.  Many CB'ers are now hams and they are great
people.  We need new amateurs and here is a big pool of people already
interested in communications.

     Here's food for thought for you.  This next sunspot cycle will be the
Golden Age of US Ham Radio.  Why?  Because the average age of hams is around
55-60+ years old.  They are in their peak earning years, the kids are gone
and now they have the ambition and money to build a station that they've
always wanted.  There have been numerous posts about "I've been waiting for
30 years to build this station", etc.  Most of them (us) won't be around or
active in the sunspot cycle after this next one.  After they're (we're) gone,
who's going to replace them  (us)?  Who is going to work who in SweepStakes
or any other contest?

73,  Steve  K7LXC