Rename CQP to California DX Contest

Subject: Rename CQP to California DX Contest
From: KWIDELITZ@delphi.com (KWIDELITZ@delphi.com)
Date: Mon Oct 7 13:13:53 1996
What if they gave a state QSO Party and the World came?

To my delight and surprise in the CQP this past weekend I worked 167 DX
stations, literally without trying, mostly 20 meters, mostly CW, mostly
Europe. SV, 7X, 5W, YB, EI, HB, YO, GW, TA all called in, in addition to
many DL, G, F, SM, OH, etc. with the capper and last DX QSO, OD5NJ. If only
I have runs like this in CQWW! In fact, I never remember running Europe like
this except in the ARRL 10 meter contest at the peak of the sunspot cycle.
Maybe raising my Force 12 EF420 10 feet to 53' might have helped, but...

Here we are at the very bottom of the sunspot cycle (no sunspots for the last
TWO weeks, this is the BOTTOM.) Conditions were amazing. This wasn't the
watery, fluttering, hard to copy EU signals. This was armchair copy for the
most part. I suppose having less QRM on the band, being CQP and not CQWW or
ARRL DX helped, but still.

With not a peep the whole weekend out of 10 meters and only 20% of my QSO
total from only 2 years ago on 15 meters, the DX show really helped the
rate, eliminated the Sunday doldrums and added to my enjoyment of the
contest tremendously, not to mention giving me the points to set a new LAX
CQP record.

In order to help sustain this DX activity and make it a trend (last year I
had only 8 DX QSOs,) I hereby offer to sponsor a CQP trophy for the highest
scoring non North American station.

Full report and results to the 3830 reflector.

73. Ken, AB6FO, KWIDELITZ@DELPHI.COM