Help settle and Arguement DVK for M/M Question

Subject: Help settle and Arguement DVK for M/M Question
From: FRCRULES@aol.com (FRCRULES@aol.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 10:20:51 1996
Greetings Fellow Contest MANIACS!

Sam, WT3Q, and I were discussing the merits of using a DVK/DVP in Multi -OP
use during CQ Phone from a DX LOCATION. Sam is not sold on the idea. I
brought a Neltek Labs DVK 100 to V2 the last two years but had trouble with
it...The old 761 had been hit by lightning and it must have effected the VOX
circuit..had RF into the VOX and it made the DVK inoperable...VOX is another
issue all together....(am I the only op using 100% VOX?? Sam and I fight
about this one all the time)  Anyway...I used the DVK at TO5MM in 93 and
found it invaluable. I am not the best typist in the world and found that I
could give a report and enter the log info faster and more accurate by
responding with the DVK F1 (this probably has something to do with being able
to walk and chew gum at the same time)....While the DVK was sending the reply
I could finish typing and be ready to hit F3. I figured it sure as heck cuts
down on the abuse your throat takes in a contest, too! We don't call CQ all
that much but with 12K + Q's using the DVK on each run station would really
help reduce fatigue. Program F2 with FIVE NINE EIGHT, F3 with THANK YOU
V26B,and F4 with the V26B pileup buster.  Sam thinks the rates would suffer.
Hence our "arguement.

We are fairly new DXpedition OPs so we are doing a lot of "on the job"
training. The guys at PJ9B have been fantastic in giving us pointers. We
spent quite a bit of time at Dayton eagerly listening to them devulge some of
the secrets they employ. This was one of the questions that got lost at the
gin mill in the CQ Hospitality suite. :-)

So the questions are: (1) Do you use DVK/DVP from a multi environment?
                                      especially DX Multi
                                (2) Any R.F. or other problems??

                                (3) VOX or footswitch  (this ones for me)

                                (4) Shielding required on DVK ? (I use just
torroids from a SO)

                                (5) Are rates better or worse with DVK/DVP

                                (6) Can you arrange to have V2 towed south a
few degrees?
                                     Say...just into 3 point territory..?

Comments Welcome...Will summarize if interested. See you in the pileups!

73 and GREAT CONTESTING!!!
de Doug V26DX 15m OP at V26B
GO TEAM ANTIGUA   GO FRC!

FRC WEBsite http://www.frc-contest.org
Team Antigua V26B WEBsite  http://www.frc-contest.org/v26b
5 and 6 band certificates available for 1996. Just work us 5 or 6 bands for
automatic certificate of appreciation via the mail.