HF Log Periodic Problem

Subject: HF Log Periodic Problem
From: coopersg@odl.co.uk (Cooper, Stewart)
Date: Tue Oct 15 14:38:55 1996
I have built the LPDA as described in the ARRL Antenna Handbook and I
can't get the SWR to go below 1.9:1. I have tried everything except
rebuilding it with a bigger gap between the central feeder run. The
antenna, without the balun, seems to have an impedence around 105
ohms which would tie in with this theory.
A friend built one for last year's CQ WW and had similar problems,
eventually abandoning the project. Has anyone ever tried to build one
and got it working at 1:1 (52 ohms) on 80m? If not, I strongly
suspect that the details of measurements in the Ant Handbook are wrong
in spite of the antenna appearing through many editions.
Cheers
Stewart
GM4AFF with GM4DMZ / GM6V