No subject

Subject: No subject
From: jcrovell@gbsmail.bcs.lucent.com (jcrovell@gbsmail.bcs.lucent.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 15:50:35 1996
>From jcrovell Tue Oct 29 15:56 EST 1996 remote from 580howard
>From: "John Crovelli" <jcrovell@580howard>
To: "'Contest'" <CQ-Contest@tgv.com>
Subject: QSL Route
Date: Tue Oct 29 15:56    0

Many have asked so here it is:

QSL P40W via N2MM.

What a weekend!  More later.

W2GD/P40W

>From janalme@sn.no (Jan Almedal)  Tue Oct 29 21:23:15 1996
From: janalme@sn.no (Jan Almedal) (Jan Almedal)
Subject: E-mail adr for WB1ASL ?

Hi,

does someone now WB1ASL? I received an e-mail from him some days ago
regarding rules for the NH QSO Party. I would like to get in contact with
him, but any mail to him ( @moose.ncia.net ) bounces. Can someone help?

73 de
Jan / LA9HW

- - -
NRRL HF Contest Manager
Complete HF Contest Calendar: http://home.sn.no/~janalme/hammain.html

From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson) (David L. Thompson)
Subject: Suggestion for an 80/160 beam

I keep reading about 4 squares and I remember the discussion W0UN and I had
about these last year.  A four square is an excellent antenna, but no better
than a 2 el phased array in any one direction.   How do you put up any
antenna that has 2 or 3 DB more gain than a 4 square
without resorting to separate 2el quads as W3LPL has done?

A few years ago I lived near two hams that were true antenna builders.   One
was a radio station engineer who used phased bob tails.  On 75 meter he
always broke the pile ..I remember his 40DB over 9 from CN2AQ (he was 10DB
stronger than W2HCW with 3 el beam).  Problem with phased bob tails is that
they are bi directional and nearby towers will interfere with the pattern.

Dunc Carter, then W5IOU, was a quad builder.  He built quads with rohn 25 as
the boom!!!  8 or 10 elements on 50 or 60 foot boom.  W5WMU received several
of his designs.  He told me about
a G3 (even then a SK) who had a big signal on 80/75.  I looked back 6 or 7
years in my log and found him on 75 AM (not SSB).  He worked all the way to
the west coast on AM and had well over 200 countries on 80CW.   He had a
secret weapon that should be easy to duplicate today!

This G3 had a 100 foot tower that he rotated by hand (actually a track
roller).  His antenna was an 80 meter G4ZU birdcage quad.   The birdcage was
described by G4ZU in a 1960 CQ.  It is a variation of the quad bent back
into a V (actually an X when viewed from below) that requires NO boom.  each
side of the X is 32' for 80 with 68' of vertical spacing.   He claimed 10DB
gain, but We ran this on a fortran based antenna modeler 12 years ago and
found 7.34DBi gain (5.33DBD) or about 1 DB down from a 2 el quad.   The
birdcage rotates with the tower (I don't see you putting up a 68 foot mast
with 2 64 foot X's above a rotator).   G4ZU goes on to explain that using a
1/4 stub (to open one side of each element) the antenna can be made into a
2el  reinhartz antenna .  The 160 antenna will be better than most inverted
V's and its rotatable.  Gotta put this up on a modeling program...would
guess 3.5 or 4 Dbi or slightly less than a 4 square.  The elements must be
insulated from the mast or tower.   For best results the antenna should be
mounted on a 120 foot tower especially if 160 is used.

Wish I could put up  such a tower, but not on 1/2 acre with a big tower
already up!

Dave K4JRB