N3RR SOA Musings

Subject: N3RR SOA Musings
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Wed Oct 30 05:15:05 1996
My line score in the CQWW SSB test was: 1416/131/465 = 2,380,424

I analyzed my log and found out that I "ran" non-packet putouts (eg CQs)
of 193 QSOs.

That is, of the 1416 QSOs I made, 193 of them were from calling CQ (In
8 different, distinct "runs").  The rest were from working packet
putouts or S&P.  Most of the 1223 (1416 minus 193) were packet spots,
not S&P.

In fact, at one point, I had the CT rate meters at 100 just by running
packet spots.

My station is totally automated:

IC-781
IC-4KL
ICOM EX-627 antenna switch

So, when I see apacket spot in the ALT A window, I just hit CTL-RIGHT
ARROW-
ENTER and work the station, hit ENTER and back to CTL-RIGHT ARROW-ENTER,
etc.

That sequence was capable of 100 hours if the spots continued to come
in!!!

In fact, I was amazed this weekend that upon arriving at the spot freq,
the station spotted was invariably saying "<CALLSIGN> QRZ". I'd say
that happened 80-90% of the time in the 100 hour I had on packet spots!!

That is what makes this SOA mode so neat.  The technology, the new
skill, the
mechanization of your station to optimize the use of the technology.  My
hardware takes only 50 milliseconds or less to switch bands and be on
the
new frequency.  I was running a 100 hour on three bands together!!!

The best run rate I had calling CQ was a 60 QSO in 35 minutes on 15
Meters.
The next was a 42 QSO in 29 minutes on 15 meters as well.  Best run on
20
was 42 QSOs in 30 minutes.  Remember, I only ran 193 stations CQing.

The breakdown was:

DATE    START   FREQ    Qs      END   TOTAL TIME    OTHER BAND QSOS FROM
PACKET
         (Z)                    (Z)     (min)      (QSYs to packet spot
during CQ)

10/26   1142    14.257  42      1212    30                      0
10/26   1410    21.237  48      1439    29                      2
10/26   1510    21.331  7       1515    5                       1
10/27   1234    21.252  60      1309    35                      0
10/27   1416    21.285  9       1424    8                       0
10/27   1509    21.321  21      1522    13                      0
10/27   2137    14.247  3       2138    1                       0
10/27   2142    14.278  7       2151    9                       1

               Total = 197
  Minus packet jumps -   4
       Total CQ QSOs = 193

Different skills apply to this technology so that I can't say this
category
can be compared to SO, M/S, or M/M.  It has traits similar to each, but
is too unique in its application of the technology that I don't want to
see it lumped into a generic multi or single operator class.  It's
neither.
If your station hardware is optimized to use all of the available rules
for the class, it's truly unique.  AND it's a new feeling!! A super HIGH
by seeing all of your design, implementation, and operating skills come
together!!

I'd say that it combines the "assistance" of others spotting for you,
but without the availablity of others to take over the operating
position (as can be done in M/S or M/M), with the combination of new
skills to provide maximum efficiency (my definition of efficiency, of
course) of the station through technology.

Sure, a single op with a terrific antenna system, no automation, good
skills and monitoring only one packet spot (and not even working it) can
win (or beat out other less equipped but more automated SOAs) the SOA
catagory.  But, to me, that's not the fun of it.

I know that some think that the use of automation is "less than hamming"
or similar comments.  I, of course, grew up with a homebrew 6L6
transmitter and S-38E rcvr in the early 60's.  Had wire antennas for
many years, then verticals, etc.  Now, I've latched onto the integration
of PC and switching/automation technology into the hobby and it's REALLY
NEAT!  And FUN!

I have a lot more to say about this catagory (SOA), but it'll wait for
another time.  Looking forward to others' thoughts.

73!

Bill, N3RR