OK1RI - CQ WW SSB on 20m SO/SB

Subject: OK1RI - CQ WW SSB on 20m SO/SB
From: jirka@jimaz.cz (jirka@jimaz.cz)
Date: Thu Oct 31 10:24:16 1996
OK1RI CQ WW SSB 20m  SO/SB

Hello everyone,

I also wanted to come with some remarks on the contest.

Compared to last year our (understand mine and OK1RFs) antennas on 20m were
improved a little bit. We always have had 6Y at 25 m and 4Y at 40m. The second
one was FIX to JA. This yaer the second antenna went up to 52m and is rotary
which created a huge and partly unexpected difference.

The propagation specially on saturday was down to last year - I am of course
not
the first and last one to say so. Here is some quantification. The comparison
can be made only to JAs since the introducing of the "high" ant to the USA made
a huge difference specificaly to zone 3(+200 QSOs !) . This and last year
"claimed" results were/are
1995    3125    40        150     1 478 960   JA  424    W+VE  1565    EU 792
1996    2909    39        165     1 442 688   JA  293    W+VE  1395    EU 826

The propagation to JA was pure, all the stations on the short past (about 50%
of
the lot) were weak and even the big guns did not deliver to EU reasoanble
signal. The rest i.e.  about 50% of the stations came on the long pass and only
there were some reasonable signals but the propagation was wery short - only
about 30 min. Interesting was that opposed to my expectations the long pass JA
signals were much better on the low antenna !

The W's were in saturday very weeek and even the biggest guns on this earth
like
KC1XX, K5ZD, W3LPL, N2RM, NQ4I, K3LR, KM9P..... were first half of the
afternoon
relatively week so what can be then expected on the small pistol stations -
they
started to come through only after 1500 Z. Real thrill were the zone 3 stations
on the high ant. They were comming after 1530Z "like lions" and I could hear at
all on the "low" (80ft 6Y) only about 2-3 out of every 10 stations !!!!! On the
other hand the "short" Ws were on the high antenna barely audible again some 3
of 10.
It is hard to guess but I thing that with my last year antennas I would score
less then 2400 QSOs.
I finished in saturday with 350 QSOs less than previous year, in sunday about
100 more. My best hour this year was 154 QSO, with 13 hours over 100 and only 3
hours over 150. Last year it was 191 QSO with 14 hours over 100 and 7 over 150.

In CW part OK1RF will pilote the station again probably on 20m.

73 !

Jiri OK1RI