Part II Dunestar & I.C.E. Final Summary

Subject: Part II Dunestar & I.C.E. Final Summary
From: kt6v@concentric.net (C.T. Morton)
Date: Tue Nov 5 10:45:48 1996
Here are the final comments-tnx to everyone for so many responses-it's
been a great
help to me and many others.. Tom

I have a set of ICE filters and they seem to work OK.  Used Dunestar
when I
was at V7X, no problems.  I also have a set of the K4VX filters I
homebrewed.  They all work.  The only caution I would mention is that
one
slip of the antenna switch - transmit into wrong antenna or worse yet,
an
open circuit - and the filter may pop.  Usually this seems to hit the
series
mica cap.  I had a bunch of early ICE filters go bad - they replaced
them
for free so good service there.  I've had no problems with the
replacement
units, except for a couple of the above-mentioned antenna switching
mistakes.  I also use ICE filters on 2m and 6m.  The latter seemed to
help
reduce crud from Channel 2 as well as subbing for a low pass on XMIT.  I
also run an ICE filter on 160 meters all the time - knocks down a couple
of
birdies (one at 1830 - the product of 1080 and 750 AM stations).  These
kind
of filters are practically a must at any multi-op contest station now.

                                Dan KL7Y

We use ICE bandpass filters on all stations here at N3RS.  Have had a
few of the 15M filters blow do to high VSWR on the input to the PA and
relatively high loss in the filter (~0.5 dB).  This only happens when we
drive the PA with a 150W xcvr such as the TS-950SDX.  They work well,
but are not as good as the "W3LPL" receiver bandpass filters we also
have on each station.

73 de Sig, N3RS

ICE built us 200 filters in a week for WRTC-96.  I checked each and
every one on an HP network analyzer, and they were all within spec.
All the filters worked fine in the WRTC contest, and all the teams
bought their filters ahead of the long waiting line.  ICE also built
us a set and shipped them to Quito, Ecuador overnight for our 1993
(oops, 1994) HC8A M/
S, which finished first in the world.  I recommend them as a very
good value for price.  There are custom filters with sharper bandpass
for
exotic situations, but these have worked for me.  I use the single
band filters, but I believe they have a switched filter setup also.

73 de Dave, W6QHS

Been using the 800-BPF here for two years.  Have two of them one on each
station and could not do MS without them.  Have had others but these are
the best.
73
Dick XE2DV

Both brands work well.  The advantage of the ICE is that it has a manual
bandswitch and indicators on the front, so you dont HAVE to have an
external
box to control it you use it for FD or DXpeditions or whatever.  It's
also
less expensive. The only downside is that it's a bigger box than the
Dunestar.

Tyler KF3P

just had a wonderful (see below) weekend with two 1500 watt stations
whose
linears were next to each other...both stations used ICE 419 multiband
filters.
Jim K1ZX

I use ICE filters when I single-op from GI0KOW.  These help cut down the
breakthrough on the second rig considerably.  I purchased them in July
when I was at WRTC in San Francisco.  We got a special rate of 20 USD
each (single band units) but I think they are normally 35-40 USD each.

They work quite well for what they are (2 coils and 3 capacitors) and
could probably be homebrewed quite cheaply.

I have never used the Dunestar filters, but in the future I will
probably get the Dunestar 600 and the Top-Ten Devices switchbox to plug
into the back of the rig for automatic filter changing.  It gets a real
pain when you want to change bands and have to manually change the
filters.  That's something to keep in mind.

Andrew Williamson, GI0NWG/AC6WI