test

Subject: test
From: bsmith@tx.ncsu.edu (Brent Smith)
Date: Mon Nov 18 16:35:18 1996
test

>From cooper@gmpvt.com (Tom Cooper)  Wed Nov 20 19:23:36 1996
From: cooper@gmpvt.com (Tom Cooper) (Tom Cooper)
Subject: ARRL 160 or 10 op needed?

Does anyone need an extra CW operator for the ARRL 160M or 10M contests?

Hvae credit card, can travel.

Tom WA1GUV

From: ac1o@gate.net (Walter Deemer) (Walter Deemer)
Subject: Two More SS Jammming Incidents

I'm reluctant to add my own SS jamming stories to the recent flurry, but am
doing so anyway -- in the hope that smarter heads than mine can come up with
possible solutions.

Incident #1.  It's 30 minutes into the contest.  I give out #27, and a Good
Old Southern Boy comes on frequency to tell me that some stations are
already up to 200.  He doesn't go away.  I tell him this isn't 75 meters (a
BIG mistake, I realize later; the thing to do, as people on here have said
repeatedly, is to ignore him completely).  The GOSB stays with me for 8 or 9
minutes.  I finally shake him with a suddenly-remembered reflector-taught
trick: a few fake QSO's (each one "acknowledged", just when the GOSB shut
up, with a hearty "QSL --and FB on the QRP station, OM!"  The GOSB
disappears after the second such Q.  The only really notable thing about
this incident, sadly, is that it took place on FIFTEEN METERS.

Incident #2.  Sunday morning on 20.  I find a hole at 14,301.3 and start
CQ'ing.  After a while somebody stops by and asks if I realize that there is
an International Maritime Mobile Net on 14,300, and could I please move.  I
slide up to 14,301.8.  He's right back at me: "That's not far enough."  "How
far do you want me to go?"  "At least 3 kc."  "Jesus -- you want 3 kc. on
THIS BAND at THIS TIME OF DAY?!" I respond, then resume CQ'ing.  He tells me
"You won't make any contacts!"  I try another CQ -- and am greeted with the
TV audio from a Midwestern station.  I sigh (I'm running low power) and move
up the band.  I expect this type of behavior in the area of the electronic
sewer at 14,313 -- but I never thought the Maritime Mobile net people would
stoop to that sort of stuff.  They should be ashamed of themselves.

I can think of lots of ways to combat jamming; unfortunately, most
counter-measures require a BIG, LOUD station to stop what he's doing in the
middle of the contest and counter-attack -- which, of course, is out of the
question.  And so I present my incidents to the wiser heads on the
reflector, in hopes they can come up with something...

73, Walt, KN4T (ex-AC1O)
WWW: http://www.4w.com/deemer; amateur radio, news, weather & financial info.