NU Topic: 2 Headset - 2 Rig Switchbox *IDEA* (LONG)

Subject: NU Topic: 2 Headset - 2 Rig Switchbox *IDEA* (LONG)
From: aa4nu@ix.netcom.com (Billy W. Cox)
Date: Thu Nov 21 03:07:00 1996
*This is posted as an *IDEA*, meaning you will have to do    *
*some work (thinking/cutting a few traces/soldering....) or  *
*what used to be called "real amateur radio"  NOTE THE >>> :)*

Recently I posed a query on here as to "how to" switch
2 Heil Prosets with 2 rigs, allowing for either Heil to
be used with either rig ... (K.I.S.S. RULES AT AA4NU !)

Several ideas exist from simple to complex ... and I believe
we will have some commercial offerings to choose from soon ...
But there's nothing right NOW to do what I wanted here at NU.

I searched FOX's site for background on previous postings,
went back into my bookshelf of NCJ's for other ideas ...

Best (KISS) solution that I discovered was W5ASP's of a
simple 1 headset, 2 radio setup using "store bought" items.
Stop at the Radio Shack, pick ALL up the items, and once you
get back to the shack, in about 5 minutes following W5ASP's
directions ... VOLA ... for CW it worked FB here as I use
seperate paddles for each rig ... But SSB was still a yank
off one headphone and plop the other one on to use the right
boom mike ... Grrrr ... must be a better way, a NU way ????

When I purchased the 'box' that W5ASP used in his article, I glanced
at all the other 'boxes' that Radio Shack offered ... Mnnn mmnnn
MMMMNNNN ... After studying each of them, I found the one that
showed promise for what I desired here !

Look in the 1997 Radio Shack catalog, page 131, center of page.
Part number 15-1951 ($39.99 US) ... Notice the 2 rows of four
buttons ... it's called a "amplified stereo A/V selector". What
that means is that it switches LEFT/RIGHT and VIDEO for two
devices (TV and VCR) to four other sources ... Ahaaaaaaaa ...
Let's see, LEFT/RIGHT, yes that will work for each rig rcve, and
if I could use that VIDEO for the xmit audio ... welll nowww ...

First the good news ...  :)

Here's how it all worked out .... Hope this "picture" works ...

The upper row of labels indicates RCVE switching status ...
    lower row of labels indicates XMIT switching status ...

                Heil 1           AA4NU             Heil 2

       A     A/B     A/B    B   (RCVE)    A     A/B    A/B    B
      ---    ---     ---   ---           ---    ---    ---   ---
       A      A       B     B   (XMIT)    A      A      B     B

Note =  --- indicates a wide pushbutton type switch, the type that
        when you push one in, the other three stay out ...

Study the "options" you can choose by the 'picture' above ...
Either Heil can choose either rig ... and/or/both ... The 'box'
set on the shelf above the two rigs, just below eye level, where
either op can reach it to make choices ... or the single op can
use it with either headset ... (KISS rules here remember ...)

This arrangement met my goal of either Heil controlling either
rig, in fact you can listen to the other rig at the same time
as another op is using it by simply hitting a button. (Might be
helpful with a new op on the other rig and he/she can't quite
pull out the new mult's callsign, hit a button, help them, hit
a button, and you are back to your rig ...)

Now the less than good news ... :(   (This is NOT W-95 Plug es Play)

Remember I posted this as an *IDEA* ... but it is easier to do
than to try and describe how to do it ... a couple hours time in all.

As stock, the unit has an internal amp for the VIDEO lines, something
that you must remove, but then you get to use the external 12v power
pak that comes with it to operate something else in the shack ...

You'll need to remove the VIDEO circuit components, and run some
internal jumpers to keep the switching lines complete ...

You'll need to remove all of the other small resistors you see
on the circuit board ... you do not use them.

You'll need a couple of isolation transformers to stop ground
loops and trash from being a problem (R/S # 273-1374  $ 3.99 US)

And you need to cut a few traces and make a few jumpers after
using your VOM/VTVM/DVM to understand the switching logic of the
mechanical switches (this is NOT high tech stuff guys and gals!)

Use W5ASP's directions for cable hookups as a starting point and
then determine what you will have to do for your setup. I will
give you a "hint" ... one of the secrets is to *THINK* that the
'box' only has THREE options, not four ... think of the 2nd and
3rd positions as being ONE, as you will have to jumper those together
for the A-A/B-B logic to work ... so it's 1-(2-3)-4 for A-A/B-B ...

Well this post is getting a bit long. The *IDEA* has hopefully
been presented in a manner for those who are capable of reading
this post and now say "ahaaaa .... yesssss, I can do that ..." to
get started. For my needs here, this seems to work FB at present.

Those who desire a "commercial box", I would suggest you contact
George W2VJN at Top Ten Devices (a very FB company!) for ideas ...

TU to W5ASP for the original article, many of you on here for your
answers to my MANY questions to bring this idea to reality and to
N5KO for making this "watering hole" possible to post CONTEST items !

(And for those of you with short flame fuses, ***NO*** I have ZERO)
(connection with Radio Shack, that's the only local source here!!!)

Take this *IDEA*, build it, improve it, and then YOU post the
details for the rest of us, ...

Now it's YOUR turn to give something back to CONTESTING ...

73 Bill AA4NU   aa4nu@ix.netcom.com
(well, you know ...)