No subject

Subject: No subject
From: jcrovell@gbsmail.bcs.lucent.com (jcrovell@gbsmail.bcs.lucent.com)
Date: Tue Dec 3 14:20:05 1996
>From jcrovell Tue Dec 03 15:23 EST 1996 remote from 580howard
>From: "John Crovelli" <jcrovell@580howard>
To: "cq-contest" <cq-contest@tgv.com>, "WYLIE" <WYLIE@colloquium.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Re:Contesting and the Internet
Date: Tue Dec  3 15:23    0

Tom you wrote:  << I do not seek to question skill levels as I already said
that
skill levels have been honed by technology and even now at the bottom of the
sun spot cycle records are being broken.">>

Where do you get the notion that skill levels are honed by technology?
 Technology has very little to do with skill which is essentially the
product of the physical and mental abilities of the participant.  At very
best technology is tool used to produce the desired result but it is not
under normal circumstances anywhere near as important as what goes through
the mind of a competitor and how he applies his cumulative knowledge.
 Someone said earlier that contesting is 80% operator and 20% hardware.  I
think this is a fair supposition of the truth.

Example:  In 1987 (give or take a year) I operated the ARRL DX  CW contest
as P40GD.  My station consisted of a Cushcraft 402CD at 55 feet, a Cushcraft
A4 tribander at 47 feet, an 80 meter loop with the apex at 45 feet, and a
160M inverted vee apex at 45 feet.  TS930S and MLA2500 amplifier.  My
 competition that year was NP4A, operated by a really great operator, Chip,
K7JA.  Padro's station at that time was unquestionably the loudest in the
Carribean, if not the world, located on a commanding hilltop above Ponce,
P.R.  with monbanders gallore on multiple 100' plus towers.  I likened the
competition to David vs. Goliath.  The only way to be successful in this
sort of huge mismatch of hardware (assuming the operators are evenly
matched) required execution of an operating strategy superior to the other
guy.  I knew I was down 10 to 20 db on most bands, especially 80 and 160.
 Who won the contest would hinge on which of us would make the most of the
10 meter openings and who ended up with the most mults, esp. on 160 and 80.
 It promised to be a close competition and an exciting one.  I felt like the
underdog and by measurment of hardware/technology as you call it, there is
no question I was.

Well, when Sunday evening rolled around it was evident the course that I had
charted was enough for success.  P40GD  had a few more QSOs on 10m and more
mults on 160 that translated into a very narrow victory, a  product
seemingly more the result of intellectual effort than brute force.  The very
modest station at my disposal  at that time was sufficient to upset a very
formidable and skilled opponent.  Again, it wasn't the hardware or
technology.

Skill is the product of experience.  There are so many little things that
make some contesters better than others.  I would love to understand what
exactly what makes KR0Y or K1TO or W0UA or N2NT or OH2MM or N6KT or CT1BOH
or G4BUO or N5KO or N6AA or KW9KW or KM9P or W1KM or KQ2M or K1AR or N6TR or
G3SXW or DK3GI or ZL3GQ or JE1CKA or ZS6EZ or any number of others such
 great operators?  It's certainly not  the radio station they happen to be
sitting behind at any given time.  Its the thought process they go through
over and over and over  again that ultimately determines the outcome of
their performance and seperates them from others.   That process is the
product of their cumulative contesting experience which has been refined
over many years.  I'm willing to bet that if you asked any of them, they
would tell you OPERATOR SKILL is more important than hardware or supporting
technology.

Of course you need a station that is at least average.  When piloted by an
experienced operator, the result will be an above average score.  Everything
being equal, operator performance will be the deciding factor in 9 out of 10
events.

I can't get worked up about connections between rigs and the internet.
 Guess you might say I'm a believer in OLD Technology...hell I'm still using
a 286 laptop and version 7.19 of CT, not a Pentium and CT 9.XX,  a beat up
TS930S, not an FT1000MP.
Again, these are tools and old ones ofter work just as well as the latest
and greatest.
I am against using the WWW for multiplier alerting.  If its not entirely
over radio frequencies, it shouldn't be allowed.

Well Tom, I suppose we will continue to disagree.  But for every example
being cited on this thread of how operator skill is most important there are
another 1000  examples that are going unspoken.

Contesting  is what you make of it.  You can compete at your own level and
have great fun.  It doesn't seem to matter how old you are either.
 Something for everyone.

73,

John, W2GD/P40W