Help w/Amp 80m Anomaly?

Subject: Help w/Amp 80m Anomaly?
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 23:17:03 1997

>I purchased a used MB-V-A from a sale of surplus equipment from
>a previous Greenpeace operation in the Antartic.  The unit had
>burned sections of tinned copper braid between the terminals
>and the components.  It had been in service with an Alpha 88, into
>a variety of non-resonant wire antennas.
>After replacing the braid, the unit has operated reliably
>at the 400w level for several years.

Braiding has much higher RF resistance that the same area smooth conductor.

Measurements I made several years ago at 30 MHz on a new chunk of 1/2 inch
wide copper braid indicated it had an RF resistance about equal to a number
12 wire.

The resistance varies with the depth of the weave, cleanliness of the braid,
and the mechanical pressure of the wire to wire connections in the braid.

NASA prohibits use of braiding for lightning protection and RF grounds unless
the connection absolutely has to be flexed.

73 Tom