Contest Callsigns

Subject: Contest Callsigns
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (frenaye@pcnet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 10 18:36:15 1997
>How many QSO's would W3LPL lose in a contest based on the familiarity
>factor?

        I wouldn't under estimate how important this can be.  Frank has
        been active in major contests with big signals on all bands for a
        long time.  Over the years a lot of friends are made during the
        contest and by operators outside the contest.  It all adds up!
        QSLing is important as well (I'm not sure if Frank is a good QSLer
        or not - I saw one of his cards for the first time just about a
        year ago).  You should at least answer all received QSLs.

        I'm convinced that one reason we have such a tough time beating
        'LPL is 8-10 stations who are multipliers make only a handfull of
        QSOs but make a point of working them each year (a certain VP2V
        comes to mind!).  The other reason is that they really do keep
        stations on the air when bands seem dead to anyone else - and they
        pull in a several QSOs an hour extra because of it.  They really
        do want to win!

                                73 Tom

E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444