[CQ-Contest] rib lab measurement commentary summary

Subject: [CQ-Contest] rib lab measurement commentary summary
From: w5xd@delphi.com (Wayne E. Wright)
Date: Thu Mar 6 01:23:02 1997
Wow. Reports of the demise of the quality of information on this reflector have
been
greatly exagerated. In less than 24 hours I have received 15 replies, all
helpful,
regarding my query about how much stock to put in lab measurements--especially
the ARRL published ones--when comparings rigs. And specifically for the Omni VI
and the FT-1000MP. My personal thanks to each of you that took the time to
think about the issue and reply.

        Wayne, W5XD

Summary follows:

The most important theme was that subtle ergonomics and other
not-so-easily measured features of a rig count heavily and that the measured
performance is really too close to provide the margin for choice.

I did not ask permission of my correspondents to quote them, so I will do so
anonymously. Here's my personal favorite:

>Lab and test results do not handle personal preference.  A BMW may get
>you to the parts store a lot faster than a Ford pickup, but if that's Rohn 45G
>you're bringing home, forget the Beemer.

(And he didn't know I've been driving a Ford pickup since 1983. And there's
nothing I'd rather bring home in it than 45G!)

Here are some numbers:
Taking the 15 repies as a poll for rig preference, I'd rate:
        4 of the replies as "I recommend the FT-1000MP from personal experience"
        2 of the replies as "I recommend the Omni VI from personal experience"
        remainder as being neutral or no personal experience with the two rigs.

3 of the replies said the OMNI VI is much stronger as a CW rig than SSB.

Only 1 disputed my reading of the lab measured performance as being in favor
of the OMNI VI. I did not follow up but it sounded like he had made measurements
himself.

>I've never had
>IC-781's or FT-1000's to use in contests, but have used the following:
>FT-107, FT-980, FT-767, FT-990, IC-765, TS-950, TS-940, TS-930, TS-850,
>Paragon, and Omni V.  The 3 highest rate rigs on CW were the FT-990, TS-930
>and the OMNI-V.  On phone, the 3 highest rate rigs were FT-990, FT-767 and
>FT-980, all over 300 per hour.

The reference to the good performance of the Omni V especially interested
me because that's what I've been running for several years and not
considered it a very good contesting rig because of the missing RIT and
the lack of a usable PC interface.

Another case study:
> few months ago a few friends and myself had the opportunity to do a
>side-by-side comparison of the OMNI V and VI and my TS850 with a
>Timewave 59+ DSP.  Oh, by the way, I've been strictly operating QRP, so
>weak signal work was and still is very important.  One of our QRP
>associates in IOWA ran a 250MW beacon for us on 40M so as to have a
>constant signal to monitor.  No fancy test equipment, just our trained
>ears and a fairly good antenna...windom at about 70' in the clear.
>
>The OMNI VI lead the pack in sensitivity and selectivity, but not as
>dramatically as we thought it would...very subtle!  I'm not a
>contestor, but I found the menu system on the OMNI a bit cumbersum.

Here's the most detailed description I received of the subtle features that
make the FT1000MP popular: