[CQ-Contest] CQ cover blurb

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ cover blurb
From: rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd)
Date: Wed Mar 19 10:41:07 1997
I've had my first request to "follow the tradition" and describe the KE3Q
station, since it's the subject of a CQ magazine cover.

First...I recommend the various contest clubs (or others) make a list of
interesting stations, inside or out, and send the list to K2GMA or K2EEK
at CQ -- stations in your area, members of your club, whatever -- and
invite them to send their photographer.  The photog, Larry Mulvehill,
made a swing through PVRC-land 2 years ago just after Dayton and took
photos at N3RR, W3LPL, KE3Q and some others I think, but I can't remember
who they were.  This was very exciting to me, knowing that it could
result in a cover, which it eventually did.  It made me think back to the
12-year-old kid (me) who was fascinated by CW and shortwave radio and my
awe of the big guns I heard on the air and read about in the magazines --
never imagined I'd get on a cover someday myself.

First, the 7000' of tower is a typo or other error.  I suspect it just
got confused in K2GMA's notes.  It's 4000', which still should be
enough.  (hi)

Rigs:  pair of FT-1000 (D type, not MP), TS-940 (worth more as a spare
than to sell) and three Drake TR-7s (had one I was using occasionally
mobile, then stumbled on one for $300 with a bunch of accessories at a
hamfest, couldn't refuse, which meant I was one rig short of enough for
one on each band, so acquired another TR-7 -- $350!  TR-7s may not be the
hottest or latest radio but they are bargain priced -- have sold in this
area for as low as $200 lately!).  I haven't used all 6 yet but I thought
there might be some advantages for quick band change, simplified antenna
switching, especially if there are multiple antennas on each band, stubs,
etc.

Amps:  Pair of Alpha 77s, set of 6 amps built by N2FB...five with 4-1000
finals, the sixth being a Henry "sputtering" amp used for electroplating
at Harry Diamond lab, operated in the lab on 13.9 mhz.  Wayne made some
mods to make it work well in the 20M band.  Before Wayne agreed to sell
me his set I had accumulated 6 4-1000 and 3-1000 amps built by others.
They're still here but set aside.  And...before all those homebrew amps
started coming in I'd accumulated some commercial amps -- got some more
when bargains came along or by horse trading -- sold some, etc., but
still have two Henry 3K floor console amps and two Collins 30S-1 amps.

Antennas:  Currently just 2 towers up, 160' Rohn 45 with 2-el 40 Telrex
at 170' (on the mast) and 6-el 10 Telrex at 160'.  Second tower, 150' SE
of the first one, is a 120' Rohn 45 with 8-el 15 Telrex at 128' (on 3"
mast) and 6-el 20 Telrex at 120'.  Those two are on a prop pitch
rotator.  The first two are on a T2X.  I think I have the largest Telrex
collection in this area -- yes, I know I'd probably be better off with a
modern computer-designed beam, would probably work better and be easier
to install and maintain and turn.  But, I have a total of five of the
8-el 15s, 6 of the six-el 10s, 4 of the 6-el 20s, 3 of the 2-el 40s, a
single 3-el 40, a pair of 4-el 20s, a 5-el 20, a pair of 5-el 15s, three
3-el 10s, three 3-el 15s, two 3-el 20s, a 10-el 10, you get the idea.
And...I have one of the few (I would guess) unused Big Bertha base
sections!  (hi)  I also have a bunch of other Hy-Gain stuff, a KLM 6-el
15 acquired from K1CC, and two built 3-el 40 homebrews and enough
aluminum for two more, etc.

Concrete was poured on towers 3 and 4 last August.  They're "permitted"
for 199' each...I need to clear some trees before putting them up,
particularly #4.  3/3 40 is planned on #3 (or 4/4 K3LR/WA3FET design) and
a high 20 or 20 stack on #4.  I'll probably put up short towers for 10
and 15 backups, intentionally low for close stuff, Caribbean and
domestic, and probably for 20 also.  May put up another tall tower just
for 15.  Etc.

73 - Rich Boyd, KE3Q