[CQ-Contest] Contests/Magazine Subs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contests/Magazine Subs
From: aleith@highlander.cbnet.ns.ca (Alan Leith)
Date: Sun Mar 23 14:44:36 1997
Like Chris, G3VBL, I, too, have taken stock of finding out what the results
of the CQ and ARRL Contests cost.

In Canadian dollars, a two-year subscription to CQ is now almost $100, and
membership in ARRL is now almost $120. for the same two years.  Membership
in my national radio organization costs a mere $40. and includes full QSL
Bureau privileges.  Is there any question about where I'll spend my money?

I, for one, can no longer afford to spend that $220 on magazines that offer
me nothing more than, in CQ's case, year-old contest results and little more
(as Chris so aptly describes), and QST's only moderately more interesting
fare and an opportunity to submit a card or two every few years for DXCC credit.

Sure, I realize if costs a lot to mail the magazines under the new
international agreements, but let's face it, the magazines don't cost all
that much to produce if the advertisers are paying their bills.

I wondered, for a long time, why so many of the locals are so completely out
of touch with what's going on in ham radio.  Now that I look at it, however,
the average ham can't afford to pay for a lot a magazines to go with his
hobby.  My 30+ years of subscribing to these magazines is now down the tubes
(semiconductors?).

Yeah, I know, if I'd had half a brain, I would have taken life memberships
and there'd be no reason for my griping.  But I don't and I didn't, so I am.

73...

Al

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
                                 Alan Leith, VE1AL
                       aleith@highlander.cbnet.ns.ca
      QSL Manager: CG1B, CY0DXX, CY9DXX, FP/VE1DXX,
     VA1S, VF1L, XJ1NWD, all Canadian Prefixes for VE1AL
   and VE3FRA (1977-91), VE3AII/SU & VE6CBJ/SU (1973/74)
   FW0DD-1980, 1979 operations of ZK2DD, ZK2DJ & ZK2YL
       logs for VE3BVD/DU and VE3BVD/ST2 have been lost
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIII