[CQ-Contest] wpx scoring

Subject: [CQ-Contest] wpx scoring
From: AE6Y@aol.com (AE6Y@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 26 19:48:06 1997
I'm a great believer in changing the rules to allow one poiint for in-country
qso's for several reasons:
   1.  Yes it will help W/K's and JA's, but will also help by, for example,
equalizing the competition between W's and VE's.  A few years ago I compared
scores between W6/7's and VE7's.  With similar qso and mult totals, the VE's
grossly outscored the W's. They probably worked all the same stations, but
the W's had many more zero-point qso's.
  2.  Anyway, W/K's very rarely win or are contenders in wpx anymore.
  3.  I think that a basic principle of contesting is that a contact should
be meaningful for both sides of the QSO.  In WPX, I can work many stateside
stations out of politeness, even though the tenth K4 or WB8 (or even the
second) wants to work me for a mult, but is of no value to me whatever.
 Allowing these to be one point q's would give continued interest in the
contest.  This was particularly noticeable to me last year in WPX CW, when
with low sunspots, the activity just about stopped on the second day, and
many of us operating low power had almost no chance of improving our score
sunday afternoon.  I finally just turned off the radio rather than keep
making  zero-point contacts.
  73, andy, AE6Y@aol.com