N4KG: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX points system

Subject: N4KG: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX points system
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Thu Mar 27 04:34:33 1997
From: N4KG
To: VK1FF@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX points system

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 02:15:39 VK1FF <VK1FF@contesting.com> writes:

>Is WPX an international or domestic contest?

        IT  IS BOTH

>I agree with SM2EKM, changing intra-country contacts to 1 point will
>make the contest a domestic competition for the US.

HAVE YOU EVER WORKED THE ARRL TEN METER CONTEST?
ALL CONTACTS COUNT THE SAME...SAME COUNTRY,
 SAME CONTINENT, DIFFERENT CONTINENTS....AND I WOULD
HARDLY CONSIDER THAT A DOMESTIC USA CONTEST.

>The change certainly won't benifit Australian contesters  and I bet it
>won't benifit most other countries either.   The only clear winner
>from
>this change is the US.

>AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT...IT WON'T  H A R M  OTHER COUNTRIES, JUST
LEVELS THE PLAYING FIELD WITHIN COUNTRIES WITH LARGE POPULATIONS SUCH AS
USA, JAPAN, AND, RUSSIA,   ELIMINATING A LONGSTANDING INJUSTICE AND
INEQUITY.  ARE YOU SUGGESTING THE RULES BE CHANGED
SUCH THAT AUSTRALIAN CONTESTERS WIN NOW?

>IMHO the change does nothing for promoting international contacts,
>which
>should be one of the goals of a worldwide competition.

 A 3 TO 1 CONTACT POINT RATIO ISN'T ENOUGH  INCENTIVE?
CARRIBEAN STATIONS CAN'T EVEN OVERCOME A 3:2 POINT DIFFERENTIAL!   BE
REALISTIC.

PERHAPS YOU WOULD LIKE  MAKING  A L L  S A M E   CONTINENT QSO'S  ZERO
POINTS?   THIS WOULD GIVE EQUAL TREATMENT AROUND THE WORLD INSTEAD OF
INFLICTING THIS SEVERE PENALTY ONLY ON THE LARGER COUNTRIES AND WOULD
DEFININTELY ENCOURAGE INTER-CONTINENTAL CONTACTS!

>If you feel the primary focus of the contest is working prefixes, then
>   (AHEM....it  IS  a   P - R - E - F - I - X   CONTEST)
>you probably don't care whether your working DX or local stations.
>However for me, the World Prefix Contest is about working DX prefixes
>not about working the ham down the street.  (YOU ARE REDEFINING THE
CONTEST  TO   Y O U R   LIKING...I BELIEVE THE WPX AWARD IS FOR  ALL
PREFIXES).

>There are plenty of domestic contests, like the ARRL Sweepstakes,
>where you
>can receive points for working your next door neighbor - if that's
>what you
>want to do.   If this is supposed to be an international contest, then
>the
>rules (including points, number of hours on the air, etc) should
>encourage
>DX QSOs and to some extent discourage local contacts.
>    (THERE IS ALWAYS THE CQ WW DX CONTEST, CW AND SSB)
>Maybe a compromise worth considering is to increase the point
>value for DX contacts to 5 points, as suggested by Ernesto (LU6BEG),
>to offset the 1 point for intra-country contacts.
>
>  (LIKE I SAID, 3:1 ISN'T ENOUGH?   CARIB STNS CAN'T OVERCOME A 3:2
DIFFERENTIAL....SOUNDS LIKE SOUR GRAPES TO ME)