[CQ-Contest] Re:CQ WPX

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re:CQ WPX
From: ke5fi@wt.net (Chuck Dietz KE5FI)
Date: Sat Mar 29 08:59:40 1997
Jan-Erik Holm wrote:

> In case you Americans dont know it, there is in fact a world outside
> the American continent and CQ WPX is a worldwide contest so please
> consider this before you speak about rule changes.
> 73 de Jim SM2EKM

But we have a flood of new hams and casual contest participants who
might get hooked if we don't run them off first by discouraging
contacts.  The 1 point for same country contacts is a good idea.  That
way we won't get annoyed with a string of novices with the same prefix
calling us on ten meters.  They are excited about the contacts and it is
a shame for them to be zero pointers.

It might also be a good idea to raise the other point values, however, I
believe the 3 points for intercontinental contacts is enough to make me
beam for Europe over same country contacts.

Chuck, KE5FI

From: Ron DeBry" <Ron.DeBry@uc.edu (Ron DeBry)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX = European QSO party?

Maybe I shouldn't do this, as I'm firmly teetering on the fence between
supporting and opposing 1 point intra-country QSOs - but some of the
arguments I've seen against the change just don't make sense.

#1 - "It would change WPX into another sweepstakes"

Europeans live on a large, densly populated continent with lots of ham
activity and lots of prefixes.
North Americans live on a large, densly populated continent with lots
of ham activity and lots of prefixes.

Europe is divided into lots of countries.
North America (activity-wise) is ~95% USA.

Europeans get 1 or 2 points for working each other. Heck, they get 2
points for working each other on the bands where it's probably easiest.
2 points for running Gs and DLs on 80 from Sweden? The WPX has always
had a reputation for being much more popular with europeans than with
Ws - no wonder.

If the change were made, and it resulted in thousands of Ws sitting on
80 all night working each other, how much does that change the contest
for most europeans?

#2 - "It would invalidate the records"

How many people are affected by the records? About as many as are
headed out on DXpeditions. Further, records in WPX mean even less than
records in the major DX contests (they must, because I once held the US
record in WPX phone). I'd bet that today the number of available
multipliers is at least double what it was 10-12 years ago.

So, why not change it? #1 - Personally, I'm with Pat - I'd rather work
DX. But, you already have to work stateside to do well.  #2 - I like
the separate "flavors" of the different contests. Adding points for
domestic Qs will make WPX more like Radiosport. But, the multiplier
system is still unique, and the 30 hour (oops, 36 - _that_ absolutely
needs changing) time limit is still unique.

73, Ron

Ron DeBry   WA6DGX

Department of Biological Sciences
Box 210006