rhummel@monad.net (Rob Hummel): [CQ-Contest] WPX 0-point discussion

Subject: rhummel@monad.net (Rob Hummel): [CQ-Contest] WPX 0-point discussion
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Thu Apr 3 07:41:07 1997
From: rhummel@monad.net (Rob Hummel)
To: CQ-CONTEST@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX 0-point discussion

Please don't count me as one of those lobbying to change the WPX 0-point
rule.

As 2-time LP/AB champ, I see nothing wrong with the way the scoring is
now.  (OF COURSE YOU DON'T....WITH A RARE PREFIX, OTHER
RARE PREFIX STATIONS HAVE AN INCENTIVE TO CALL YOU, BUT
NOT YOUR FELLOW COMPETITORS WITH W1/K1/N1 PREFIXES.
OBVIOUSLY, YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOSE THIS UNFAIR ADVANTAGE.  WHO WOULD?)
Giving 1 point for in-country contacts would have an overall negative
effect
on the contest.  (TELL ME HOW? I DON'T AGREE WITH THIS
UNSUPPORTED STATEMENT.)

It would essentially turn the contest into three different contests.
   1. European QSO party.
   2. Field day (for non-east coast)
   3. WPX (for east coast)
(IT ALREADY IS....SO WHAT?  ELIMINATING ZERO POINT CONTACTS WILL MOST
LIKELY  I N C R E A S E   PARTICIPATION.)

Despite the fact that prefixes count as multipliers, this is a DX
contest.
An SM5 does count more, for example, than a WA4. It has a square-law
effect
because it adds both a mult and points.
(FOR MULTIPLIER PURPOSES, A PREFIX IS A PREFIX.  THE ZERO
POINT RULE SAYS "YOU ARE WORTHLESS, DON'T BOTHER ME!"

FInally, I'll answer any US station that calls me (BUT WILL YOU CALL USA
PREFIXES YOU ALREADY HAVE TO GIVE THEM YOUR RARE PREFIX? I DOUBT IT.)--
even if I already have
their prefix. But encouraging US pileups of low-point QSOs will simply
reduce my score (HOW? YOU WILL GET POINTS WHERE YOU DID NOT GET THEM
BEFORE.  YOUR SCORE WILL GO UP.) and force me to implement a more
restricted  US QSO policy.

As far as the 30/36/48 hour debate goes, put me in the 30-hour category.
Strategy is everything. In good conditions, a bad decision can cost you
the
contest. In unsettled conditions, time off can ameliorate the impact.

It all improves the competition -- and that's why they call it a contest!
(GIVING 1 POINT FOR SAME COUNTRY CONTACTS WILL ALSO
IMPROVE THE COMPETITION.)

 Rob Hummel (WS1A) <rhummel@monad.net>

UPPER CASE COMMENTS   de   N4KG