[CQ-Contest] WPX Rules

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX Rules
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Tue Apr 15 18:04:24 1997
>In the same manner, the way to get an advantage in a prefix contest is to
>acquire or borrow a call with a rare prefix.  We all have to make choices.
>Almost any contester determined to get a rare prefix for the WPX contest
>can do so by applying for a rare-prefix 2x1 as a vanity call.  Actually, of
>course, far more contesters have used the vanity call program to abandon
>2x1's in favor of 1x2's than the other way around.  Many of them gave up an
>advantage in WPX in the process... but that's the choice they made.  We all
>have to order our priorities on a continuing basis, and contesting is no
>exception.  It's an imperfect world, and we all make choices every day that
>work to the advantage of some things, and to the disadvantage of
others.

Just as a data point - I have set/helped set records in
the WPX contest (including the all time prefix record one year)
using the callsign N5AU.  I think it is safe to say that it is
being loud and knowing what you are doing is worth more than
a "rare" prefix.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.            "I'm on a mexican radio"