[CQ-Contest] CQ contest hall of fame

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ contest hall of fame
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 2 15:49:03 1997
Again, I thought personal stuff should be kept off the reflector, I got
DOUGie-barked (that's as "funny" as YURI-nation) by KR2Q, so here are the
facts:

<<You just don't seem to be getting the idea, so here it is
in black and white.  You have burned a lot of bridges behind
you and there are (apparently) lots of folks still upset
about it. >>

One of them is you, who received free subscription from day one, and is still
upset about it? (and you can't claim that you did not know about Contest Hall
of Fame sponsored by IRSA, it was there on the back page in almost every
issue.)
Thank you for the lesson, I get it now!

<< I find it appalling that you feel compelled to bring up the
 Contest Hall of Fame "copyright" as an "issue."  It just so
 happens that I am the guy who decided who have a CQ Contest
 Hall of Fame.  As you recall (you were there!) it was the
 occasion of K2GL's 80th birthday party.  Perhaps your "kind"
 and "forgiving" manner at that time prevented you from claiming
 rights to it; you even wrote up a big article covering it
 in your magazine!  >>

First of all LU6BEG asked about the history of Contest Hall of Fame (CHoF), I
stated what was the history. I replied to his posting to state the facts.
What is appaling that you (as you admit) have stolen or hijacked the Contest
Hall of Fame from IRSA and Radiosporting Magazine. The announcement about
IRSA activities, programs and Contest Hall of Fame was carried on the back
page of Radiosporting (item 9, IRSA Purpose and Objectives) starting with
Nov. 1984 issue, on and off. This predates any mention of CHoF in CQ magazine
or any other publication.
Normally, you would expect that K2GL nomination would be presented to IRSA. I
wasn't (nor anyone from the officers) contacted, we just found out that K2GL
is going to be induced to Contest Hall of Fame. Surprise, surprise!
Yes, I was way above the thievery, I wouldn't go and fight for it, embarass
K2GL, W1WY or anyone else. As you well know, I didn't make big deal out of it
and accepted it. I don't need to claim rights to it. I and IRSA wanted to
start something that we felt was beneficial to contesting and I am happy to
see it alive. Nobody can take away the "fatherhood" of CHoF from me and IRSA,
you would go into history as a .......  (fill in the blanks as you like).

<<I would also note that you were the only guest who was NOT invited, but
showed up as a "representative of the ham press," which we all accepted.  If
you could see your way "past" this "violation" of YOUR Hall of Fame then, why
do you bring it up now?  WHAT ARE YOU GAINING BY IT?  Take it from me, you
are NOT gaining anyone's respect or admiration.>>

Sorry if I crashed "your" party, but if I remember correctly it was either
K2UU or CQ gang, who told (invited?) me, and I also presented
"IRSA-Radiosporting Special Achievement Award plaque for K2GL and crew
contributions to amateur radio contesting" and had a salute and cover photo
to K2GL and the team in Dec. 86 issue of RS.
I'm not crying or fighting for CHoF, LU6BEG asked, I stated, the way it was,
period. It is the truth and I have a proof. End of story. Sorry to lose the
respect and admiration. (Seems that some people keep harping on this subject
of respect, etc. Could it be the withdrawal symptoms of drive-in operators?)

 <<We've all had a past that we might be proud of and when history is
 discussed, I'm sure that the razor beam and all of your VE contest
 records will be remembered.  But this is a CURRENT forum.  Please
 add to it with information that is useful TODAY.  You don't win
 any friends (and you can't afford to lose any still out there) by
 bitching about the sad events of your past.>>

What I am proud of is that immigrant from the communist block managed to
stand up on his own feet, managed to represent Canada in ham radio
competition, using home brewed and designed station on a 120x46 ft city lot,
 and had fun beating some "commercial" installations (by observing the
rules). Yes, that is behind us and a history. Ten years later, I managed to
pull out of second crash and start from nothing, God willing, resources and
health permitting, I will try to do better in the new arena. So bitching
"friends" move over, true friends please join in, if you like what you see. I
will be glad to share my experiences and findings as I did before.
What I am sad about, is that I was forced to stop publishing Radiosporting,
that I could not continue indulging in my second love - ham radio operating,
and that no help from ham community and advertisers came. You will never know
how it hurts me, and I don't need more stabs about it.
I am glad to see that there is a Contest Dinner at the Hamvention, and a
large meeting room by FRC, two of the things that were on IRSA agenda, but
not materialized due to lack of cooperation and resources on our side.

<< I don't hold any hostilities toward you Yuri; I never did.
 Please take this as advice and move FORWARD.>>

Same here Doug, I don't hold hostilies even against communists, who killed my
father and sister and made me run for my life, I pray for them as I do for
other people who need it. I can fix radios and things, but I can't, nor I
want to mess with people's minds. There responsibility lies within.
Thanks you for your support, whatever it was!

de Yuri, VE3BMV, K3BU

P.S.
To old and new fans of Radiosporting: please stand by for announcement.
"Radiosporting HamPage" is brewing and coming soon to the Internet.