[CQ-Contest] 6 Meters in HF Contests

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 6 Meters in HF Contests
From: rickday@IDT.NET (Rick Davenport)
Date: Sun May 4 15:25:17 1997
Hi Gang,

        There are alot of different items that need to be looked at here, and
what the result is going to be on each item by introducing 6 Meters into
HF contests.

        The first item that comes to mind is that in order to have a
competitive HF contest station you must have a good balance of hardware
for each band. We already know that the initial investment involved in
putting together a competitive station is many thousands of dollars, by
introducing 6 meters to the hunt you are bound to increase that dollar
figure. Now those of us who are already into this "hobby" up to our
waist probably will not have a problem adding the extra band, but think
about the ham just thinking about getting into contesting, I think that
we will scare more people away from investing into a contest station and
without new blood on the bands, we are certain to sign the death
certificate for HF contesting.

        The second item that comes to mind is that the motivation behind this
act is motivated by the major radio manufacturers, and is a ploy to sell
radio's. Well, even if it is, we all know that "Amateur Radio" is an
occupation for alot of people, and without the advertising dollars that
come from these radio manufacturers, most Ham publication would probably
go belly up. The object here is not to dump on people for having hidden
agenda's, but to figure out alternate ways to perpetuate this sport and
hobby.

        Thirdly I think that the fears of everyone who are not on the east
coast would definitely be realized. The introduction of 6 meters
especially into international HF contests would only lead to the east
coast stations having larger margins of victory.

        I am firmly opposed to introducing 6 meters into HF contests because of
all the adverse effects that I see it creating. Perhaps the solution is
to introduce more 6 meter contests, such as SS, NAQP, or even an
international contest on 6 meters. By going this route you would not
price out beginners because they could just buy a 6 meter setup to see
if they enjoy contesting, and then perhaps invest in an HF station, the
radio manufacturers would sell their 6 meter radios and see that it is
still worthwhile to spend advertising dollars on this hobby, and finally
the east coast would have another band to win contests on !

        Just some thoughts, I am certain that there are many other perspectives
on this issue and I hope that the CAC looks into them all before going
out and doing something for the wrong reasons that will have an adverse
effect on the longevity of contesting.

        73    Rick  KI1G