[CQ-Contest] Keyboard and Headset (w/ mic) Tips

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Keyboard and Headset (w/ mic) Tips
From: bfrede@poci.amis.com (Bill Frede)
Date: Fri May 9 09:48:03 1997
id MAA05343
Sender: owner-cq-contest@contesting.com

I've been using the Optimus PRO-50MX for over a year now and I would
like to add a few comments.  This headset is a low cost alternative to
the Heil but the major drawback is it makes my ears hurt something
terrible after about 6 hours.  I don't know what it is about the
construction but wearing them is pure torture for me after long periods
of time.  I guess it has something to do with the compressive force
exerted by the headband.  The ear cushions also seem to be very good
insulators and hold in the heat so that doesn't help either.  The mike
element has an impedance of 600 ohms.  I also agree that the high
frequency response of the speaker elements is much too high for contest
work so high frequency filtering is mandatory.
Like they say, "you get what you pay for."  Guess I'll be looking at the
Heil's at Dayton this year.
Bill Frede  W7II