[CQ-Contest] (2) AE0M vs HOA BoD

Subject: [CQ-Contest] (2) AE0M vs HOA BoD
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Fri May 23 13:25:19 1997
At 12:32 AM 5/23/97 -0600, AE0M wrote
>Hi All!
>
>>We have received the following letter from the HOAs attorney:
>

>>[Bold on] Therefore, the Homeowners Association does not wish to
>>continue with the continued mediation presently scheduled for
>>Monday, June 2, 1997.  [End Bold]
>>
>Boy, are these people STUBBORN!  How unsightly is attic antenna anyway?

Unfortunately ALL new subdivisions in Atlanta, Seattle, Silicon Valley etc.
are being built with CC&R's that outlaw outside ham radio, TV, or satellite
dishes (even the 18" size).  The HomeOwners associations often make the
rules even more restrictive through Architectural Oversight Committees etc.
So to ban an attic antenna is not unusual.  There is a ham who lives in a
neighborhood near me who was told that the HomeOwners Asso. forbid any two
way radio in their subdivision...that meant his moble rig and any hand
held!!!!! I asked them if this also meant anyone with federal license (I
said this in the same sentence with police etc).  The reply.."naturally any
police or federally licensed unit is exempt."   Then I told them that
amateurs were federally licensed by the FCC.  I told them I could come back
with the FCC FOB Engineer in Atlanta and they backed down...He even sent the
homeowners President a personal letter.  But since this was an unwritten
addition they just decided to not continue inforcement.

>Just wait until the League realizes that some control freaks want hams to
>petition them for prior permission to transmit AND to sign a contract
promising to refrain from exercising the privileges of their Federal license
to transmit

The ARRL is sensitive to this type of action, but its up to the FCC to take
action and that probably is not coming anytime soon as the FCC is now too weak!

>OK, competitors, what should our new strategy be?  Operators are standing by...

The strategy is to get a good lawyer, write a good city/county tower
ordinance, and try to impress the homeowner members with amateur radio's
usefulness in emergencies.  Or like most of us find a location that does not
restrict!!!!!!

Remember years ago "Go West Young Man."   for hams its "Go to the country."

Dave K4JRB