[CQ-Contest] CW Speed for WPX

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW Speed for WPX
From: KR2Q@worldnet.att.net (Douglas Zwiebel)
Date: Mon May 26 19:06:07 1997

>now, some of this can be band cond'x, but if you're going 45 wpm and have
>to do it 3 times, that's about 15wpm effective.  why not go 25 and have
>almost no repeats?  it depends on how often you have to repeat of
>course, and i'm sure the speed merchants know what's best!  after
>all, their time is valuable!

Many seem to forget two things:

1) Many guys who will submit logs (and end up in the "box") CAN copy
   a 4 digit number (the 599 is understood) at blazing speeds.
2) Many of the guys who send at blazing speeds are the CQ-DEMONS...
   that means that YOU found THEM and you get at least one shot
   at hearing their serial number first.  And if the op is timid (or
   careful), they can always listen to the number for the "next" guy.
3) Many more guys DON'T SUBMIT A LOG and DON'T CARE if they get the
   number or not.  If you send to them at 25 wpm and they can copy only
   15 or 20, THEY MAY ASK FOR A REPEAT.  If you send to them at 45+ wpm,
   they know they have no chance and simply GO AWAY....a FASTER qso.

As you stated, they "know what's best!"

I am NOT advocating any of the above practices, just pointing out
some ideas.

de Doug  KR2Q