[CQ-Contest] What is a proper prefix in the WPX?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] What is a proper prefix in the WPX?
From: albraun@socketis.net (Alan Braun)
Date: Tue May 27 00:20:25 1997
In <199705262056.WAA14180@mail.castrop-rauxel.netsurf.de>, on 05/26/97
   at 08:55 PM, "Carsten Steinhofel" <carsten.steinhoefel@essen.netsurf.de>
said:

>By the way, does anybody know what NZ4/W4UE is? Worked him on Sunday
>night before the end of the contest.

It's a guy trying to bend the rules and make himself more attractive by
giving himself a rare prefix he's not entitled to.  According to the rules,
the only folks who are allowed to pick their own prefix are those operating
in a country other than the one their callsign belongs to.  The example they
use in the rules is KH6XXX operating from Ohio, who must choose a prefix
from the 8th district.  Likewise someone like me who goes to Hawaii can
choose any xH6 or xH7 prefix that would be legal for Hawaii.  If on the other
hand I go to the 9th district I by default become NS0B/9, which for scoring
purposes in the contest is NS9.  The rules do NOT seem to allow for what this
person has done.  (I'm using the rules as printed in January 96 CQ page 84 as
my reference).

It might be nice if someone from CQ could interject a comment here so we
would all know what the sponsors want us to be doing, but in my judgement
what this person did is not proper.

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socketis.net       *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B@N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *