[CQ-Contest] Optimum Keyer Speed for WPX

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Optimum Keyer Speed for WPX
From: Fatchett.Mike@tci.com (Fatchett, Mike)
Date: Tue May 27 12:54:01 1997
I have the same complaints.  I made about 170 contacts.  I was truly
amazed at the number of fills I have to do on the number.  My top speed
was 32 wpm and the majority of time 29 wpm.  For some reason the WR0
prefix tripped up a bunch of people as well.

I am glad to see other Top flight ops have trouble with the A25T
exchange as well.

I also noticed a couple of ops sending in the upper 30's low 40's that
did not slow down their exchanges.  In fact one sent the call so fast
and with poor spacing I could hardly figure it out.
Seems like a dumb idea sending faster than what 99% of the other ops can
copy.

I did notice lots of people using the logging programs to send the 5nn
part real fast and the NR part noticeably slower.  The latter is a real
help to those of us whose CW speed is not where it once was!

I noticed most of the better ops were sending in the low 30's.

Had a great polar opening on 20m Friday night.  Was able to work
everything I heard with 100 watts and a 1/4 wave vertical with NO
radials.  Went up to my folks house with the beams on Saturday and ran
some EU on 20.  Even heard some EU on 15!  Saturday nights opening on 20
was not great.  Sounded much better than the phone test.

Mike
W0MU