[CQ-Contest] CUT NUMBERS - CUT CALL!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CUT NUMBERS - CUT CALL!
From: k7sv@juno.com (Larry G Schimelpfenig)
Date: Tue May 27 20:43:35 1997
I took the opportunity to play with cut numbers and varying speeds from
NJ4F during the weekend. Historically, NJ4F is a tough call on any mode.
I still can't figure out why Steve didn't trade it in! For the number of
stations we have worked that sent the call as  N1VF, I have to wonder how
many more that didn't send the called ended up with that in the log.
Maybe we could get N1VF as a club call!

I started the contest on 40 at about 40wpm but slowing by 8wpm whenever
the call was sent. I really think this helped. For the serial number
portion of the report, I slowed it down by 4 wpm and didn't send leading
zeros.

At some point while operating 20 and after working many Eurs that used
cut numbers, I changed NA to cut 0 to T. Oh, for the fella that asked,
zero's are frequently cut to O or T. Anyway, as 20 improved, I started
cutting ones and zeros, depending a lot on the station that responded. I
ended up with a terrific run that ran between 120 and 130 Sunday
afternoon. The signals from Eur were loud, and the pile-up of the sort
dreams are made of (like they always have in New England!)  I used cut
numbers and kept cranking the keyer up. Eventually the pile thinned out
and I started cranking the speed down and going back to cut zero's only.

So, I guess with the caveat that one has to temper the modus operandi to
existing conditions, I'll go against the grain and say that I like cut
numbers. Maybe a few common sense rules:

1. Don't use cut numbers when you answer a CQ, unless the station you
answer does so.

2. Answer a CQ at the same speed the station sends it.

3. QRS if someone asks

4. If you don't like cut numbers, don't answer a station using them.

5. The BIG SIGNAL out of VA is not N1VF.........it's W4MYA!

73 de Larry K7SV
K7SV@juno.com