[CQ-Contest] Re: real sig rpts

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: real sig rpts
From: AD6E@aol.com (AD6E@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jun 4 16:37:18 1997

<< I am not a serious contester, but I enjoy making contacts during
 contests.  While, some ops do give out honest reports or at least not
 599, like nearly everyone else, I generally give out 599 reports in the
 exchange. However, it makes me feel strange to give 599 to a station I
 can barely hear especially if I have to asked for repeats.

 I find it just as easy to copy a real signal report as 599, and both
 paper and TR allow me to trivially log a report other than 599.  The
 only savings for me are on the transmit side where I don't have to
 decide what report to give and if I'm using computer sending, I don't
 have to type in the report. My reason for giving out 599 is so that
 I don't annoy people who are serious competitors.

 I am curious whether serious contesters feel the same way.  That is, do
 you send 599 just to save time and effort in transmitting, and on the
 receiving end you would just as soon get honest reports, or does
 receiving honest reports slow you down and annoy you?

 73 Kevin w9cf

Kevin,   I've never won a contest myself, but I do dabble  a bit.
I think the main reason for 599 on all QSOs is that there is virtually no way
to copy that part of the exchange wrong.  After all, wrong copy leads to
point deductions (if anyone checks).  More importantly, no one will ever ask
for a repeat of "599", thus slowing down a run.

Personally, I'd like to see some real signal reports.  I tried that idea
during a short DXpedition to KH9 a few years ago... It wasn't a contest, but
the rate was quite high. I don't believe it slowed me down at all.  I also
received (and logged) non-599 reports.

I kind of like to see real information in a QSO; it makes it more
interesting.  Maybe thats why I've always enjoyed SS more than any other
contest.

73,  Al   AD6E@aol.com