[CQ-Contest] Re: Where are the W95 versions??

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Where are the W95 versions??
From: jholly@cup.hp.com (Jim Hollenback)
Date: Fri Jun 6 21:03:52 1997
On Jun 6,  1:17pm, Kevin E. Schmidt wrote:
> Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Where are the W95 versions??

 blah, blah ...

> I am probably missing something, but as far as I can tell, all my DOS

yes, I think you are, but you find it below.

blah, blah ...

> All the things that don't require direct hardware support seem to work
> OK. That is it logs, it dupe checks, computes the score, keeps track of
> multipliers etc. I then ran a DOS yagi design program and it seems to
> work fine. It's true that these programs don't take advantage of the
> windows user interface, but they seem to work the same under NT as
> under DOS.
>
> On the other hand, TR, NA, CT all directly program the hardware to do
> things like send CW and I can't see how they can get similar
> functionality out of NT without writing special device drivers.

See, I knew you would find it.

> think that its likely that any Windows version of these programs will
> have fewer contest features than the current versions.

Why? Check out WriteLog and come back.

> Of course, we
> could try to avoid the same mentality that made corporations embrace
> IBM mainframes and now leads them all to embrace Microsoft Windows.  We
> could, for example, run an open system like linux where hams can add
> drivers etc. easily, and aren't at the mercy of the decisions made
> by a single software company.

What a keen idea, convert over to linux, since just about every ham
around can write linux drivers in an evening, and do other niffty
things. Wonder why K1EA, N6TR, K8CC, WF1B, W5XD and other didn't
think of that sooner?.

Jim, WA6SDM