[CQ-Contest] FD generator lesson

Subject: [CQ-Contest] FD generator lesson
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Wed Jul 2 14:18:39 1997
After FD 96 I stored the generator with the fuel
valve in the off position. When I went to start it
up for FD 97 (on Thursday), the gas in the carburetor
had evaporated, leaving it gummed up. The generator
wouldn't start.

My mechanic buddy recommended removing the carb fuel
bowl and needle valve, spraying everything in sight
with carb cleaner. It worked.

The generator had last year's gas, with fuel stabilizer
added, and ran great after the carb was cleaned out.

My buddy recommended that in the future, with the generator
running, I turn off the fuel valve, and let the
carb run dry prior to storage. He said that some of the
seals may seep a little after the gas is turned back on,
but they would rapidly swell and reseal. I'll see how that
works next year. I may even fire it up before then.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com

Gee, I never had my own frequency before! - Tim, N3RPF, fd op.