[CQ-Contest] Using left-right hand to key paddle

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Using left-right hand to key paddle
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Sun Jul 13 21:48:42 1997
   Scott, W4PA, commented on keying left-handed as show at the end
   of this message.  Here's another opinion:

   There is NO reasonable logic that I know of which indicates that
   "the brain already is already trained...dit = thumb"  I've noticed
   many people suggesting that the wires should be reversed on the
   paddle, or as you suggest Scott, turn the paddle around and key it
   from the 'far' end with the left hand....if you are normally right
   handed.

   Now, I do not claim to be an expert on this subject, but I have
   sent a few dits and dahs over the past 4 decades, and I can tell
   you from my perspective there is absolutely NO reason to change
   wires, or turn the paddle around.  Just use the other hand.  The
   brain, in my judgement, does NOT think 'thumb = dit'.  Like Scott
   though, making this switch is EASY....Nike it....Just Do It!!

   When you just use the other hand without ANY changes to the paddle
   makes it so much easier to use other folks rigs too.  You can go
   anywhere and operate anyone's rig with equal ease.

   Try it, you'll like it.....whether you are a kid or an OT.

   73  de   Dale  K5MM

>Try this at home, kids.  If you're right handed, move the paddle
>to the left side of the desk by your left hand and turn it around backward.
>Rest your left hand on the paddle mechanism so your left thumb hits the
>dit paddle, left index finger the dah paddle.  Write (or type) with your
>right hand while sending with your left.  Your brain is already trained
>"dit = thumb" and you'll be amazed at how easy it is.  Almost as easy as
>pressing F1 all day.
>
>Scott Robbins, W4PA

 -
 ---