[CQ-Contest] IARU and a level playing field

Subject: [CQ-Contest] IARU and a level playing field
From: k5zd@ultranet.com (Randy Thompson)
Date: Tue Jul 15 19:45:32 1997

On Monday, July 14, 1997 9:16 PM, Bill Fisher, W4AN
[SMTP:w4an@contesting.com] wrote:

> Fred, nobody was criticizing the Europeans.  This was only implied on me,
by
> you.  Please dont put words in my mouth and I will return the favor.  If
> criticized anyone, it was the organizers for letting the HQ station thing
> run a muck.

Whoa Bill!  The organizers, the IARU, wanted to create a fun event that
showcased their member societies.  And they did a great job!  Now you are
complaining because contesters are actually showing up and operating the
society stations.  Gee, must be the same thing that encourages people to go
to zone 9 or 33 in CQ WW!  I guess we should knock the WW Committee for
that one too...

There are lots of hams in Eu.  Even with no multipliers, or giving everyone
100 multipliers, the guy who works the most EU stations will win.  That's
how it is until demographics change.

Randy, K5ZD

 -
 ---