[CQ-Contest] Time Limits

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Time Limits
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Mon Jul 21 14:52:56 1997
On 7/21/97 8:37, Dave Lemm at n2dldave@juno.com wrote:

>Can anyone tell me why the Single OP has time limits in a contest.

Because that is what the contest sponsers thought would be best. (I'll
elaborate)

>If a contest runs for 48 hours then everyone should be allowed to use
>that time.  Not just 30 or 36 hours.
>I do not understand the reasoning behind this.

Depending on the contest, there are a number of reasons to have a time
limit.

Fundamentally, contest rules are designed to encourage participation. The
subdivision of entrants into different categories is a good example. No
one wants to compete in a category where he'll be judged amoung those who
stand a much better chance of winning. If you improve the odds of doing
well (not necessarily winning -- but that is important to some) for an
entrant, then you'll get more participation.

There are a very few people with the constitutional fortitude to operate
a radio continuously for 48 hours straight. If the single ops were
permitted to do so, then some would. But others, realising their
limitations, would figure they couldn't compete, and would not operate.

Further, many locales don't have useful propagation for all 48 hours.
These folks would realise they couldn't compete, and would not operate.

By limiting the number of hours, a new strategic element is introduced.
You must anticipate when your worst hours will occur in order to maximize
your score.

>I am glad to see the CQWW RTTY Contest has NO time limitations
>I think it is time for a change.

CQWW doesn't have time limitations for single operators. (At least, I
couldn't find any in the rules)

CQ WPX has a 36 hour limit, and this used to be 30 hours. There is some
dissent over the change. Some feel that the 30 hour limit was better.

Perhaps a compromise would be to allow operators to operate as much as
they like, but only have the first 30 or 36 hours count towards their
score. That way, those that are truely affected with the radio bug can
operate as much as they please.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

 -
 ---